Heatsinks/Thermal Grease/Shims Advice

Mastermind 12:04 05 Feb 03

I have just finished building my first computer, which seems to work perfectly.

I used a cooler master heatsink and installed it with the thermal pad/grease than was included. Since then I have read several articles on this that recommend that you don’t use the thermal pad/grease that comes with the heatsink, but replace it.

Should I go through the hassle of removing the heatsink, cleaning the heatsink and CPU and preparing it with new thermal grease? I had a lot of problems installing the heatsink and I think I managed to take a lump out of the tab that it clips to.

The CPU (Athlon XP 2000) currently reaches 60-65 degrees Celsius, but seems to be stable.

I have also heard the mention of CPU shims. Should I have used one of these?

I ask because I'm soon going to start building a new computer for myself and want to learn from my mistakes.

MartinT-B 12:15 05 Feb 03

AMD Heat sink installation guide click here(2502)

AMD general installation guide click here^1039^1065,00.html

AMD state NEVER EVER USE GREASE (except for short periods of CPU testing). It is NOT effective long-term

Do you mean Thermal Paste? Arctic Silver is highly recommended.

How to remove and replace Thermal Pad click here

All AMD CPUs should have 4 pads to make sure that the heatsink is correctly installed. You can buy a shim for extra protection. Do a google search for "CPU Shims" (using the " "). Most stockists are US based but there is at least one UK stockist.

MartinT-B 12:18 05 Feb 03

Damn - 1st 2 links don't work due to unusual charcters in URL

http: //139.95.253.214/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=100,E=0000000000052952567,K=1886,Sxi=10,Case=obj(2502)

http: //click here^1039^1065,00.html

I put a gap between http: and // hopefull they should now appear. Copy paste them into your address bar removing the gap when you have done so.

MartinT-B 12:21 05 Feb 03

2nd link one more time

WHY CAN'T WE GET AN EDIT FACILITY ON THESE (INSERT SWEAR WORD HERE BOARDS? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
http: //www .amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_756_759^1039^1065,00.html

Mastermind 12:40 05 Feb 03

Thanks for the links. So in your opinion should I leave the newly built computer as it is or is it worth the hassle of replacing the thermal pad and/or using a shim.

having read a lot of articles I had already come to the conclusion that when I build my new computer I should use Arctic Silver and a shim.

Gongoozler 12:54 05 Feb 03

Mastermind, I think it would be better if you could get the temperature below 60C, although under 65C is not really a problem. So in the long term it may be worth looking into fitting a better heatsink and then you could use the Arctic Silver etc.

Mastermind 13:27 05 Feb 03

The computer isn't for me so is it worth the hassle of changing it now. I used a Coolermaster DP5-6J31C Heatsink (click here).

What heatsinks would you recommend that I use in future? Someone suggested the new Coolermaster HAC-V81 (click here).

Are there better manufacturers?

smcarlsen 13:36 05 Feb 03

I have an xp2000+ and the temperature I have it idling at is 30c when its working hard it gets up into the mid 40s. My cooling solution is a Zalman flower cooler and artic silver compound, prior to that I was using a Thermaltake Volcano 7+. The volcano was a very effective cooler, getting my temps into high 20s, but it was too noisy.
What motherboard are you using? if it is a Soltek, the temp could be the ABSII which is a different temp to the cpu core. I found it a lot higher.

Mastermind 13:46 05 Feb 03

The motherboard is an ASUS A7V333.

smcarlsen 15:50 05 Feb 03

Are you getting your temps from the BIOS or monitoring software, on occasions the software can up the figures slightly, On the whole, I would most definately get a quality heatsink and fan (as listed above), artic silver & make sure you have adequate cooling within your case.

Mastermind 20:35 05 Feb 03

What are good brands of heatsink/fan?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5