HEATSINK WHINING FAN!

shunter 11:51 17 Dec 03

I installed a Thermaltake Volcano 6 CU+ about 18 months ago on an AMD Athlon XP1700+ as I upgraded my mobo and processor. All has worked fine until about 2 weeks ago when I noticed a whining noise coming from the PC case. I opened up and found that the noise was coming from the Heatsink fan and appeared to vary dependant on what was going on at the time on the monitor(lots of graphics etc). I've checked everything is secure (clips on the side etc)and the temp on the CPU is fine. The noise at times is very distracting. Thermaltake do not seem to want to reply to my emails. Anyone got any thoughts? Should I just replace with another brand?

vinnyT 12:06 17 Dec 03

Sometimes the bearings can get worn, and this causes friction, which in turn can cause the whining noise you have. Some people get around this by sqirting, a tiny amount, (better to squirt onto finger and let it seep into fan) of oil between the joints of the fan (make sure only on plastic bits and only on fan), I personally would just get a new fan.

I don't have this fan, but I would think that the reason the noise varies is because it is temp controlled and so is only working at high speeds when doing intensive work like gaming, video, and graphics, etc.

This may all be wrong in your case, but is a poss answer. Hope this helps.

shunter 12:30 17 Dec 03

vinnyT Thanks for your help. Maybe I'll just get a new fan/heatsink and be done with it.

Cheers
Shunter

Jester2K II 12:31 17 Dec 03

The noise getting louder as the PC is working harder ("under load") is most probably as vinnyT says the fan spinning up to move more heat.

If the fan makes excessive noise then all you can do is replace it.

I'm currently still waiting for my new heat-sink and fan to arrive from Hercules depot in Canada to replace the one on my graphics card. I temporarily replaced it with a fan-less model and the silence is deafening!!!!!

shunter 12:36 17 Dec 03

Jester - Thanks for the advice wouldn't it be nice to go back to silence all round but I suppose that's the price we pay for ever faster (hotter) technology!

Cheers
Shunter

vinnyT 12:48 17 Dec 03

Your welcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now