//some 3rd party need geo

heat sink query

monkon2 11:29 15 May 04

I have just had to send my mobo away for repair and obviously, i have had to remove the cpu. on cleaning the thermal paste from the heatsink with the back of a knife, i slipped and several scratches are now visible on the heat sink. will this in anyway affect the operation and efficency of the heatsink or will it work ok?

thanks in advance for any advice

fsbb 16:37 15 May 04

Make sure you use some type of thermal paste like arctic silver when you re-instal. All metal surfaces have shallow imperfections, the paste bridges those inperfections to ensure a good contact is made between CPU and heatsink base.

Totally-braindead 17:15 15 May 04

I would think it depends on where the scratches are, if they are directly above the bit of the heatsink which actually touches the processor then I would replace it just to be safe, I would rather spend a tenner now than risk blowing the processor up which would then cost at least £40 to replace ,depending on what your processor is.

woodchip 17:26 15 May 04

Heat sink does not mater, No problems it's the CPU that matters

Satmansq 17:29 15 May 04

Scratches can cause hotspots and normally a slightly raised which could crack a processor, as above for the sake of it best option is a new heatsink.

Djohn 18:40 15 May 04

If the scratches are not too deep the lap the base of the heatsink with wet & dry sandpaper paper. I always do mine even from new.

Wet the paper with a mild soap solution and place on a flat surface. [Glass is good] Place the heatsink on top and move back & forward, use a couple of grades if necessary, finishing with a very fine grade.

Before you assemble the heatsink to the CPU cover your finger with cling film or similar and rub a little of the paste into the heatsink and the top of the CPU then wipe away.

Now spread the paste over the area of the heatsink that will make contact with the CPU, use just enough to give a thin even covering about the same thickness as 80-90 gram paper.

Always best to use plastic to remove old paste [old credit card or similar] as this will not cause any marks. As woodchip says, if the scratches on the base don't correspond to the contact area of the CPU then ignore them. j.

woodchip 18:57 15 May 04

The main bit that matters on the Heat sink is the middle ½ sq-ins direct over the chip the rest being contacts in the package that makes up the rest of the CPU

monkon2 20:45 15 May 04

thanks for all the info, i think while my pc is in bits im going to buy a copper heatsink and upgrade my processor at the same time. No matter what cpu i get it never seems powerful enough, but isnt that always the way?!

thanks again

woodchip 20:47 15 May 04

Make sure the mobo can take the new CPU

monkon2 21:14 15 May 04

its a gigabyte ga7va, im just going to get a 2400 or a 22600 athlon, should be ok, but thanks anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…