Heat Sink & Fan for overclocked P4 2.4b ?

Mysticnas 09:20 17 Feb 03

Hiya,

ok here's what i got, chieftec case cooled by 6 case fans, 1 power supply, 2 rear, 1 side & 2 front.

as far as i know i have a standard heat sink and fan on my P4 2.4b. I have a gigabyte GA-8IR533.

Now i overclocked it last night to 2.53 with the standard heatsink and fan. But before i take it further i wanna get a propper heatsink and fan to cool it down!

Any suggestions?

anthonyl 17:26 17 Feb 03

the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ is a safe option.

it is quite cheap now, 15-20 quid at click here . It is designed to fit both P4 and AMD easily.

it is a coppper cooler, which is better than aluminium for cooling, and a 70mm fan. it also includes a switch to control the fan speed between low, medium and high speeds.

make sure to get the 7+ model, not the 7. the difference between the two is quite big - thermaltake would have been better off calling the 7+ as the 8, but didn't.

i run one on my XP2100 @ 1.9 Ghz (overclocked from 1.7) and rarely exceed 40 degrees. likewise, i have a chieftec, albeit with 3 case fans.

Mysticnas 09:56 19 Feb 03

would it be ok to keep my temp down if i overclock to around 2.8 (from 2.4) ?

also... how do i keep a track of the CPU temp?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…