hearing a sound like a ding sound

Irene40 00:25 14 Dec 08

as im using my laptop, i can hear a ding sound, one ding then a minute later hear it again, what is this, im scanning the laptop at the moment using avast..so annoying..

rdave13 00:51 14 Dec 08

Possibly tinny speakers reproducing a tiny sound produced by Avast while scanning. If you're like me I can hear Bats flying at night. The sound they make to me is like the sound you get when you get a cricking in your neck. If you know what I mean.
You must have very sensitive ears so I'd recommend not standing too close to a microwave when it is cooking.

Irene40 01:04 14 Dec 08

i have my volumn on mute and this noise been going on before i started to scan, im still hearing this ok maybe not a ding sound lol what about ping, beep..im telling ya i can hear this coming from this laptop

rdave13 01:45 14 Dec 08

Could be a warning of overheating. Always have a laptop on a straight surface as the cooling fan is usually underneath. If the fan can't cool the laptop through being literally on a 'lap' and is being smothered by cloth then this is a warning.

Irene40 02:33 14 Dec 08

cheers rdave13 yeap I always hold the laptop on my lap, r on the cushion ..yikes..

ambra4 03:44 14 Dec 08

You should use a hard surface like a Lap Tray to rest the laptop on, available at most house hold

stores

Sample of a lap tray

click here

eedcam 09:39 14 Dec 08

Have'nt got a cordless Dec phone nearbye?

Irene40 20:38 14 Dec 08

yes i also have a cordless phone nearby, haha @sample of laptray, i know what it looked like already, problem has stop now dont hear beep sound cheersss...Merry Christmas to All,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…