Health warning with SP2

shortcircuit 08:00 03 Sep 04

There should be a government PC health warning with SP2.

I have a very reliable computer which has never missed a beat, but after a week, decided to install sp2.

After it loaded, it rebooted and then failed to load. I tried...
safe mode
last best configuration
resetting bios
changing hardware
slowing down pc speed
used xp disk to repair,
blew over fresh install

NOTHING!

I had to reinstall a fresh copy and then then all was back to normal.

When you look at what sp2 actually does, you wonder whether its worth the risk. What will it do that a good firewall and Norton securities won't do.

I expect this is just another set of bloatware launched by Bill which slowly over a course of a year makes your pc run slower...slower and slower. so you have to upgrade to a faster processor and his next new o/s.

Yes! I am bitter, but so would anyone who has experienced this problem. Where was the warning? Nothing!

And I know I'm not the only one!

SP? Steer clear unless you like the risk.

Regards

sattman 08:06 03 Sep 04

This and the weakened security aspect makes me ever more convinced to stay with the windows ME,

€dstowe 08:08 03 Sep 04

I have SP2 installed on all 15 of my studio computers. There was no problem with any of them.

shortcircuit 08:10 03 Sep 04

Not sure I would go that far....But I get your jist.

I like Xp..but I feel I've been made a mug. I have experienced these problems with 9X software, but thought Xp was bulletproof. Obviously not.

shortcircuit 08:19 03 Sep 04

Not saying that the majority of people will have problems, but if I knew off the risk, I would not of bothered.

By reading mags and sites like these , I felt compelled to install it, and then ended up with 3 hr work. Lucky I always back up. But what about those people who don't?

In future, I will let new releases run for a few months and then review, as even Xp is not safe from poorly writen, non-compatible software.

techpro 09:07 03 Sep 04

SP2 is more than just the Security Center and a new firewall. It also beefs up IE security and fixes a lot of Windows vulnerabilities. Some people have had problems installing ordinary security patches. There's always a risk, but considering the number of people who install these things successfully it's a small one. Not that that's much compensation if you're one of the unlucky few, I suppose. :)

FWIW I installed it on 3 computers. My Toshiba laptop ran like treacle afterwards so I used the factory restore disk to take it back to its original state and then did the update again, and it now runs better than it did pre-update.

€dstowe 09:51 03 Sep 04

"Lucky I always back up. But what about those people who don't?"

There are specific statements about backing up at the beginning of the SP2 update.

Eamonncw 21:00 03 Sep 04

Sorry mate, wall to wall seamless download from disc and no problems

Eamonncw 21:03 03 Sep 04

Sorry Shortcircuit I had a wall to wall seamless
download from a CD and no problems after....yet.

Al94 21:04 03 Sep 04

Agreed, 18 PC's now updated with SP 2 and no issues to date. Best thing since sliced bread.

Jackcoms 21:11 03 Sep 04

This is just another "I had no problems" or "it all went wrong for me" thread.

In any event why isn't it in the SP2 forum?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…