Headset on my computer, how?

will123 18:27 25 Dec 04

i have got a headset and plugged it into my on board sound which is ac97 audio. The wires and socets are colour co-ordinated and i have plugged it in probably. Now how do i get this to work, i have windows 2000. Is there anything specific i missed out and why i cant get it to work?(first time using one so simplest from answer if possible)
Thanks all

woodchip 18:32 25 Dec 04

Colours are not always correct, check the sockets for Mic or Line in etc

will123 18:34 25 Dec 04

how will i know if its working, is there a specific test i can run on windows to check sdounds coming out and my voice is getting through?

Technotiger 19:10 25 Dec 04

Hi, if you have NetMeeting or Messenger on your pc these both have Audio Trest Wizards (In and Out).

Technotiger 19:10 25 Dec 04

ooop sorry - Test Wizards - Cheers.

bruno 19:17 25 Dec 04

Should be plugged into line out socket on your sound card.Double left click on the volume icon in the task bar and make sure there are no ticks muting anything.

bruno 19:20 25 Dec 04

re my last post,the earphones are in the line out and mike in "mike in".Did not read your post properly.

will123 19:59 25 Dec 04

its a headset so two plugs split from one wire how do i know which is which?

Technotiger 20:06 25 Dec 04

Hi again, normally there is a Double and a Single off the headset lead - the Double (stereo sound) is Ear, the Single is Mic. If mono, then just two - it will not do any harm whichever way you insert the plugs - just not working if wrong way round, working ok if correct way round. Cheers.

Technotiger 20:27 25 Dec 04

It might be that your AC97 Sound Device is Disabled in the System BIOS. If your headset is still not working after all the above then -
enter the BIOS by restarting your pc and during the restart hold down the Del key (on your keyboard) until you see the BIOS Menu appear. In the Menu window you will see that it does tell you which keys to use in order to Navigate the Menu. Navigate through the Menu until you get to Integrated Peripherals>OnChip Device Function, you will then see listed, probably first on the list, AC97 Sound Device - check that this is either set to Automatic or Enabled. Then press F10 and restart your pc. Cheers.

woodchip 21:25 25 Dec 04

Pink for Mic green speaker or headphone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…