headset microphone wont work

gumtree 10:09 06 Dec 05

Please help! I dont know what the hell im doing. ive plugged a headset/mike into pc (pink and orange plugs) and set recording and playback to default (ess audiodrive) but nothings happening. what am i not doing??

DieSse 12:53 06 Dec 05

Pink and orange plugs or pink and orange sockets??

Normally the earphones (speakers) would go into Green - and the mic into Red

Are you plugging into a sound card, or sound on the motherboard?

Is this on the front of the PC or the rear?

Some motherboards with surround sound, and only three sound sockets, need reconfiguring to make one of the sockets a mic - do you have this type of motherboard?

Stuartli 13:19 06 Dec 05

I have to Mute the mike in the Volume Control panel when using a headset/mike combination with Skype. Still works...

gumtree 04:08 07 Dec 05

As it states on the box, the headphone 'plug' is Orange and the Mic 'plug' is Pink. I have put those into the marked sockets at the back of the pc. They are not USB. It states it does need a sound card to work. Would there be anything else i need to do? (I barely know what a motherboard is but thanks for asking).

DieSse 10:11 07 Dec 05

How many sockets are there? What colour are they? And what colour plug have you put into which colour sockets.

Sorry to sound picky, but the markings on PCs are often difficult - the colours usually simple.

Can you test the headset elsewhere - it could be fualty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…