a headscratcher

Kate B 15:04 18 Feb 05

I've solved this but thought it worth posting in case someone else runs across this problem.

I'd set up a friend's new PC and email to use the bb wireless connection thoughtfully provided by some neighbours ...

we then found that his emails were being bounced back with the message "SMTP relay not allowed".

I scratched my head over this for a while - not least because that message was generated by AVG, so I fruitlessly tinkered with the AVG control centre for a few minutes.

However, it transpires that it comes from his neighbours' ISP: a rootle around Google revealed that it's an anti-spam measure - some ISPs won't allow email to be sent by any servers other than their own, so my friend's Virgin email was being rejected.

So he's back to steam-driven dial-up for email ...

One to watch out for if you're piggybacking on someone else's broadband!

Diemmess 15:10 18 Feb 05

Interesting.... There is another thread running now, where the poster has doubts about BB, routing, and Aol. The hearsay suggests that Aol will only handle this with their own recommended router.

Kate B 15:13 18 Feb 05

Apparently it's an anti-spam measure. As far as I'm aware, my ISP - Pipex - doesn't fuss about smtp servers for mail because I use my own domain name for email rather than Pipex's.

There must be a way round it, though, surely, because so many people use email providers other than their ISP ...

*Silver*Hawk* 15:15 18 Feb 05

why not just use web based mail instead of pop.

1514 15:52 18 Feb 05

Try
Gmail.com

john-232317 16:11 18 Feb 05

ßéLâs tip should work and thank you for posting this for future ref its quite handy, but how many people are going to type " a headscratcher " in the search box ? as FE says thread heading should cover subject, ie Sharing wireless BB or something similar would have been better ;-).

Kate B 16:17 18 Feb 05

dadyassa, I regard the subject thread in the same way I regard a headline for a piece in a newspaper: its function is to encourage you to read it!

ßéLâ, I don't think he actually knows his neighbour: it gives rise to the interesting scenario of knocking on every door within wireless range and saying "good afternoon, we haven't met, but would you mind telling me what your isp is so that I can adjust my Outlook settings accordingly?"

Silver Hawk, my friend is in his 70s and not interested in knowing alternative ways of doing anything at all ... I have shown him how to use webmail but he's not having any of it. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

2neat 16:28 18 Feb 05

Just download & install this click here . Its free & comes with no nasties! Very easy to setup with outlook exp. I have been using this for a very long time now. You only need to run the prog when you want to sent e-mail. Give it a look at.

john-232317 16:32 18 Feb 05

click here

Just trying to make it easier for the next person with that problem ;-)

2neat 16:44 18 Feb 05

It astounds me that people can be so careless as to leave a wireless network open! Any criminal with a laptop could simply get in range & do all sorts of undesirable activities!

Kate B 16:50 18 Feb 05

2neat, thanks, I'll take a look at that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…