//some 3rd party need geo

Headphone output disabled by new soundcard?

TimCDC 14:00 03 May 04

I installed a Creative Soundblaster PCI card a little while ago, in place of the VIA AC'97 onboard card. All is working fine, but I have just noticed that the headphone and microphone sockets on the front of the computer no longer work, nor do the ones preinstalled on the computer that are round the back. The sockets on the soundcard itself (round the back of the computer) do work fine. I guess this is a result of having disabled the via card on the bios - but it would be helpful to be able to re-enable the sockets out front, if only to stop me having to pull the box out every time I want headphones! Is this possible?

skell 20:50 03 May 04

I believe it is yes . Do you have your M'boarb manual? if so it should tell you in there how to do it. It might be that you need to move some jumpers from one set of pin positions to another.
if you dont have the manual see of you can get the make/model of you m'board form your system info and then do a google search for the manufactuer and you should then be able to find out the info you need from there. Good luck!

Gongoozler 21:44 03 May 04

When you have AC'97 motherboard sound, the case front connectors are usually looped through from the motherboard. If you have disabled onboard sound, I would expect these looped through connections to be disabled as well. It is quite possible that your new sound card has front panel pin headers as well.

TimCDC 21:48 03 May 04

presumably there would be a clash between the drivers of the Soundblaster card and the onboard card?

I'll also check out what I can about the motherboard - I don't have a manual, but will look in system info...

thanks for the advice so far!

TimCDC 21:54 03 May 04

But what precisely am I looking for? Presumably it is something either in the system summary or hardware resources - but I can't find anything titled "motherboard"!
Thanks also gongoozler, but not sure how this would work - the creative soundcard is situated at the back of the box, with a good 30 cms between its front edge and the front of the box. I figure I need to make the pre-installed sockets work.

skell 16:14 05 May 04

click here

download the freeware in the link this is a programe that will tell you everything you ned to know about your system. its a great tool.
you should be able to get the m'board info from that then do your search. gl

Gongoozler 08:12 06 May 04

Although I'm not 100% certain, I don't think you can have 2 sound cards in a system, even if one is on-board, so I think it is very unlikely that you can use the onboard connection to the front ports. If I'm right, your only option will be to extend the leads to your front panel sockets.

TimCDC 20:47 07 May 04

Skell, the aida32 tool that you referenced no longer seems to be downloadable - are you or anyone else able to recommend something else (I had thought about simply following their links, but was a bit wary of downloading something without recommendation!)

woodchip 21:08 07 May 04

How can they work as they are part of the old sound card. if you fitted a new card you need to plug into new card not old

TimCDC 21:12 08 May 04

You're assuming, I think, that I know something that I don't. I'm interested in knowing whether it is necessarily true that the sockets on the front are wired into the onboard card - I wondered, whether, perhaps they might be wired out of the motherboard? Of course, I do realise that I could plug into the new card - but the reason why I want to know whether i can still enable the "old" sockets is that they are round the front, and therefore I don't have to pull out the box every time I want line-in or microphone out.

woodchip 21:37 08 May 04

Not much chance I would say they are connected with a special plug that fits the header pins on the Motherboard. As I have got a mobo in this computer that as them but its getting a plug and sockets to fit that's the problem, the old rear, are part of the MOBO

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…