Headings in Microsoft Word

Gary Wood 14:47 16 Aug 07

I have a Word document with headings in it, followed by paragraphs of text. Each heading is separated from the text by a line break above and below it.

In some places, the line break after the heading causes the next paragraph to start on a new page. In such cases, I want the heading to appear on the same page above the text, not at the end of the previous page.

Is there a way I can tell Word to do this automatically? Previously, I've just put extra carriage returns above the heading to push it down. But, the problem with this approach is that if I then edit the text above the heading and it extends on to the next page, it ends up having a big space after it, caused by the extra carriage returns.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gary

James1947 14:54 16 Aug 07

You can do it manually by placing the cursor above the heading and goint to "Insert\Break\Page Break" this will push everything down to a new page

Batch 15:01 16 Aug 07

or just place cursor as James1947 says and hit CTL+Enter.

using a page break you won't run into problems until the preceding paragraph is extended until it, itself, flows over to the next page.

Alternatively, format the paragraph (for the heading) and select Line and Page Breaks and select "keep with next" - this will force the heading paragraph to be kept with the next paragraph. This is as per Word2000, but later version must have something similar.

VoG II 15:03 16 Aug 07

On the Home tab click the tiny arrow on 'Paragraph' to display the Paragraph Dialog. On the line and page breaks dialog tick Keep with next.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…