Headhones only work on one ear-piece

NickyK 01:55 06 May 07

I can't seem to hear my music when played on my PC properly when using my headphones (it works when using speakers). Instead, I get the sound through one "ear piece" but not through the other. This problem is recent. It was okay, even with crap headphones, before.

I'm using Dell with Windows XP2 with Service Pack 2 installed and updated etc.

Yes, I have tried adjusting balance etc.

Koochy 01:57 06 May 07

1) have you tried the headphones in another device to see that it is not the headphones/wire that is damaged?

2) is the headphone jack plug inserted all the way into the socket?

NickyK 02:09 06 May 07

Yep. None now work on ordinary systems. What have I done? :(

NickyK 02:12 06 May 07

By the way, four sets of headphones, none of which now work other than with one ear piece on PC or non computer medium. Oh dear!

Koochy 02:14 06 May 07

From past experience it is usually where the wire goes into the jack plug it gets damaged here dueto the wire moving back and forward or being wound too tight around a music device - as these wires are about as thick as the hair on your head they are very easily damaged.

Koochy

NickyK 02:18 06 May 07

Well, okay. Seems a bit odd that four sets of headphones have exactly the same damage! Oh well.

Koochy 02:21 06 May 07

Sorry about that i have only just noticed your last post, yes it does seem funny that they all have the same problem.
Can i ask what other items you have tried them in?

NickyK 02:26 06 May 07

Just the usual old CD tape player that is fine withg everything else! And the TV.

Koochy 02:31 06 May 07

Well i can't really say what is wrong other than that the wires may be damaged but as you say it does seem a bit odd that all 4 pairs of headphones have the same fault on different pieces of equipment.

Koochy

NickyK 02:33 06 May 07

Thanks for your help!

SB23 12:24 06 May 07

I had this problem on my seperates system just before Xmas. The cause was due to dust in the socket itself.
I turned off the system, very carefully placed a cotton bud in the socket, twisted it a few times, and a very black swab came back out.
Its been working ever since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced