HDTV on my PC ?

whichpc4me 02:43 11 Aug 08

Please can anyone tell me what I need to get the Freeview HD channels on my PC.
It has a TV card which works with DVB-S/Analogue/Digital DVB-T and has a high speed wireless LAN (802.11 draft) which connects to a BT Home Hub-0c1f router receiving BT Total Broadband (8MB).
The PC and router is in a different part of the house to my HDTV which has Freeview built in so I don't know if it is better to use a sender and receiver to send the signal upstairs to the PC, or a powered main aerial splitter, or something else.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The PC has Multimedia software which allows recording of TV programs in HD and it is connected by a HDMI lead to a HD monitor.
I can get the main 5 terrestrial channels by plugging a portable analogue aerial in, but the same socket is supposed to receive DVB-T. I'm not interested in DVB-S at the moment.

Stuartli 09:57 11 Aug 08

You will need a strong TV signal to pick up Freeview properly using your TV card.

I have a four-year-old Twinhan Freeview PCI TV card that is HD compatible but, as rightly pointed out by Beta, Freeview HD transmissions are still some considerable time off.

You may be confusing this with the new BBC/ITV Freesat service. See:

click here

Check if your TV card really does have satellite compatibility - it's unusual to find satellite and digital features on the one card.

If it does, then you could hook it up to a Sky dish for Freesat...:-)

whichpc4me 16:23 11 Aug 08

Thanks guys. Here's my PC's specs (see link below). How would I hook it up to my Sky dish in order to get Freesat ? Would I need a powered aerial splitter ?

click here

Stuartli 18:12 11 Aug 08

IIRC you will require a dual or quad LNB plus separate cables for your dish.

Some forum members are a bit more savvy on such matters.

jimmybond 18:14 11 Aug 08

"There are no Freeview HD Chanels at the moment"

Yes, there is....you can only receive it if you're in range of the Guildford transmitter though.

Stuartli 23:54 11 Aug 08
  whichpc4me 11:41 12 Aug 08

Cheers Stuartli.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now