HD's and data recovery

suzie005 13:39 22 Sep 03

for a friend whose HD is about 2 years old.the allocation table has gone.he's been told

1. reformat the c drive and start all over again. or 2. find a data recovery company with a 40% chance to recover the data.

he hasn't backed up his c drive and wants to salvage wot he can.he's also been told that HD's fail all the time and the person who gave him advice said it's not uncommon for him to see them failing after 6 months.how long would one expect a HD to last? is there no way to get his laptop working at all for him to try out one of the data recovery programs? too technical 4 me i'm afraid.

cheers

sue

seedie 13:56 22 Sep 03

I think HDs a two copies of the FAT.If your friend's laptop has a floppy drive then he needs a floppy disk with OS on it and run scandisk.
An alternative is to find out the make of the HD and download a utility from the manufacturer to repair it. It's possible of course that it's not a bad FAT but something else.

suzie005 14:11 22 Sep 03

just been on the phone to him.all the allocation files have gone he said.it won't start full stop so how would the floppy get it working?

rowdy 14:24 22 Sep 03

click here This site offers a free download to a floppy which sometimes will allow access to a Hard Disc which does not boot. Read the site anyway as it may give you an avenue to follow.

Not an expert so cannot offer any other advice

rowdy

MichelleC 15:28 22 Sep 03

Data recovery from firms cost a lot, and the free recovery utilities can only recover from a working hd. Any way he can hook up as slave on another laptop?

You can make bootup floppy from here: click here to be able to make repairs.

seedie 15:41 22 Sep 03

How does he know the file allocation tables have gone? and how far is he away from you?

suzie005 18:04 22 Sep 03

cheers everybody i'll pass on the info to him.he doesn't have access to any other pc's and he mailed me from an internet cafe.

seedie

don't know the answer to that first one cos i've been out.yep he's miles away from me.i'm in the North and he's in London.time to get on the phone again me thinks.

the question about the life of a HD.anybody an answer?

DieSse 18:18 22 Sep 03

Like any eletronic/elctromechanical device, a Hard Drive may fail at any time. Newer ones are more highly stressed - run faster and hotter, and operate to extraordinarily tight tolerances - so it's not so surprsing they can fail.

An average life for a modern hard drive might be 3 to 6 years I would guess - but that's an average - some will fail sooner, some later.

The conditions inside the case can make things better/worse, depending on the heat and vibration situation.

My personal experience tells me they fail somewhat sooner these days - but not to any large extent.

Djohn 18:22 22 Sep 03

It's true that a hard drive can fail within a very short time, but it would tend to be a faulty one from the day of manufacture. Most manufactures of drives now give a 3 year Warranty and they can carry on working for much longer than this.

As always though a fault can occur at any time and it's always wise to have a back-up medium of some kind. Regards. j.

Djohn 18:24 22 Sep 03

Sorry, I must remember to refresh the page before I post! It takes me so long to type just lately that by the time I do post, everyone has gone to bed. :o(

seedie 18:26 22 Sep 03

I 've got a HD here which is 7 years old AND it's a Fujitsu. Other on puter now 3 years. It's a bit of a lottery with HDs.

Can you make a startup floppy on your computer and put scandisk on it and post it to him.

Can this internet cafe help him out ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac