HDMI using laptop as second monitor

highside 09:39 23 Aug 13
Answered

Help please, I want to use my Acer all in one (win8) as main screen and my HP laptop (win7) as a second screen for photo editing. The Acer does not have VGA connector but has two HDMI one marked as 'HDMI IN' & one marked as out as 'HDMI Out' The laptop has HDMI. If I connect HDMI 'IN' to laptop HDMI the laptop screen expands to both computers but I cannot get it to work the other way around the Acer does not see/detect a second screen if I connect its HDMI Out to the laptop. Where am I going wrong? Does the Out have to be enabled somehow? Thanks for looking.

Woolwell 12:15 23 Aug 13

I stand to be corrected but I suspect that what you want to do is not possible and that the laptop HDMI is out only. That is the norm for laptops.

highside 12:24 23 Aug 13

Thanks, I reckon you are right I didnt think it out properly. Would it have been the same if the Acer had VGA? (which it hasnt) (Guess which idiot sold a very nice TFT monitor when he bought an All In One and now regrets it)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:25 23 Aug 13

Agree, you cannot connect the laptop screen to the other PC as a second monitor as there is unlikely to be a "graphics in" connection on any laptop.

highside 10:48 24 Aug 13
Answer

If I get another monitor with VGA is there a convertor from HDMI (at my PC) to VGA at the monitor. Could buy an HDMI monitor but expensive waste when all I want to see on it are the edit tools/text of a photo editing program.

Woolwell 10:58 24 Aug 13

There are converters. A Google search will turn them up.

justenvannocker 21:46 09 Jun 15

The HDMI cable carries both the audio as well as the video signals. Both the ends of the cable act as the Input and Output.

I would suggest you to connect the HDMI cable to your laptop HDMI port to check it is connected properly.

suggest you to contact Sony Support from the link for assistance in getting the PS3 (or desktop to display on a Laptop using a HDMI cable:

click here

The HDMI cable carries both the audio as well as the video signals. Both the ends of the cable act as the Input and Output.

I would suggest you to connect the HDMI cable to your laptop HDMI port to check it is connected properly.

suggest you to contact Sony Support from the link for assistance in getting the PS3 (or desktop to display on a Laptop using a HDMI cable:

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009