HDMI connection

Lightfeet1 16:28 14 Aug 09

I have ordered a computer with a Blu-ray player & am about to order a 24" monitor to go with it but am unsure whether to get one with an HDMI socket. What would the advantages be?

GaT7 16:39 14 Aug 09

I would get one with a DVI at the very least.

From click here:

There are two significant advantages of HDMI over DVI:

1. HDMI sends the audio and video signal in one cable. DVI only transfers video so a separate audio cable is necessary.
2. HDMI is significantly faster than DVI, which means more information transferred to your TV screen.

If you're going to use external speakers, then point 1. above wouldn't really matter too much.

These days a monitor with a HDMI connection isn't much more expensive than one without, but does widen one's connectivity options. E.g. it can be easily & directly connected to an external appliance that also sports a HDMI port: Freeview box, PVR, various games consoles (although the appropriate adapter/cable would suffice with the latter if using external speakers for audio). G

Lightfeet1 17:05 14 Aug 09

Thanks Crossbow7 for the interesting link

GaT7 17:12 14 Aug 09

No problem. Which monitors were you considering? G

sunnystaines 17:20 14 Aug 09

hdmi so easier to plug in than DVI too

LinH 17:28 14 Aug 09

A monitor with a HDMI socket is a must. If you use a HDMI to DVI converter you will find that a Blu-Ray dvd will run significantly slower to the point of being unwatchable.

DVI cannot transfer the sheer amount of data Hi-def transmits therefore videos will slow to a crawl.

LinH

Lightfeet1 18:00 14 Aug 09

I'm considering the Dell 2409W or Samsung SM2443 (which doesn't have HDMI)but I've still got an open mind

GaT7 18:34 14 Aug 09

Samsung 24" SM2494HS / £189 delivered @ Dabs click here

IIyama Prolite PLB2409HDS-B / £206 @ eBuyer click here

HannsG HH251H 24.6" click here / £185-190 click here, click here & click here

G

sunnystaines 18:48 14 Aug 09

using a samsung 24" hdmi well impressed, connected with hdmi lead to ati hdmi graphics card for both sound & graphics

Lightfeet1 23:31 14 Aug 09

Many thanks to all of you for your advice. It's been very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…