HDDs not recognised at all?!?!

? DP ? 21:17 26 Feb 04

I've just rebuilt a PC since the mobo failed (and it is working fine) and had many spare parts and have also built a second higher spec PC. However, I can't get the computer to recognise my HDDs. They cannot be detected in bios and I don't know the 'number of sectors' etc to fill in the data manually. The master drive already has XP pro installed on it and works fine on another computer I tested it in. I don't want to reformat as it has taken a very long time to get everything set up on it perfectly.

Is there any way to get the bios to recognise this drive? The new PC I am trying to use it with is much higher spec than the original system it was in.

(Original = crappy 'Time' 266 Mhz FSB mobo with onboard graphics, AMD Athlon 2000 XP etc

New = decent Asus mobo 333Mhz FSB, AGP 8X 128Mb graphics card, Athlon 2500 XP etc.)

I absolutely refuse to reformat the HDD, so I need some other way to do this. Hope I'm not just missing something really obvious. Will go and fiddle with cables now (although they are all new)!

Jester2K 21:20 26 Feb 04

1) Have you tried another HDD? Maybe the Mobo is duff?

2) Have you tried a different cable?

What does the BIOS report?

User-312386 21:21 26 Feb 04

Are the jumper settings correct on the HDD?

cycoze 21:28 26 Feb 04

What type of drive is it ? i assume its IDE if it came from an older machine , SATA drives may not be detected.

The cables may be new , but are they pushed home correctly?

If IDE , you will have to get it recognised before you could reformat it , you say you dont want to as you have got it setup perfectly , unfortunatly it isnt going to be setup perfectly for the new Mobo , graphics card etc (sorry to put building blocks in your way).

? DP ? 21:29 26 Feb 04

I tested it with an unformatted 80GB HDD and it was recognised without problem, so I'm sure the mobo is working fine.

Will give it ago with the cable connecting the DVD drives (which I know works) although the cable I'm using for the HDDs is new!

The bios doesn't autodetect anything. If I manually(ish) try to configure it, there is a setting for recognising HDDs with OS already installed. This leads the BIOS to fill in a few numbers (correctly identifying 80GB capacity etc) but it does not assign a letter to it, so I can't access the C:\ drive.

The jumpers were very carefully set and are def. correct!

For boot up, does the order of devices make a big difference. The BIOS tries to boot first from the floppy, then the CD/DVD drives before the HDDs (which come at the end of the list).

? DP ? 21:33 26 Feb 04

Yes, it's IDE.
When I say I don't want to lose the way it's 'set up', I mean the programs that are installed, locations of various folders, data etc etc' which would be very time consuming to get back (like thousands of hours downloading [dial-up!] for various updates!!!).

User-312386 21:43 26 Feb 04

you havent used Necrofile by any chance have you?

midase 21:49 26 Feb 04

Can you put the hard drive back in the old machine? If you can, then go into Device Manager and delete everything that relates to the original motherboard. Now put the drive back in the new machine and see if this does the trick. Whilst not critical it's best the change the boot sequence back so that the Hard drive is the first boot drive so that it boots into windows quicker.

Jester2K 21:54 26 Feb 04

The Windows motherbaord drivers have nothing to do with the BIOS not recognising the drive.

Neither does the boot order.

? DP ? - i realise you don't want to reformat but it might be an inevitable step. The old Mobo drivers can make the system very unstable. Its hard to do a mobo swap and make it work. Tried many times and only succeeded once.

User-312386 21:55 26 Feb 04

ooooooooooops

wrong thread sorry

? DP ? 22:32 26 Feb 04

I don't actually have the old system. The mobo failed and I've chucked it out and salvaged the remaining useful parts. I know that the HDD will work on the PC I'm using at the moment (my Dad's) even though XP comes up with dozens of balloon pop-ups for 'found new hardware' it still boots up without any problems. All of my original settings are still there so the idea of deleting evidence of the old mobo might be a good idea.

Does anyone know what would happen if I put in and formatted a new HDD and tried to use the one I don't want to reformat as a slave? Would I still be able to keep my desktop settings etc even if the OS hasn't been loaded from that particular HDD???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…