HDDs and IDE settings

ColinPaul 17:36 16 Sep 03

This will be an easy one for you experts out there but I'm going round in circles!

I have two IDE sockets, 1 x 20Gb HDD, 1 x 60GB HD and a single CDROM drive. If possible, I wish to configure the two HDDs to act as a single 80GB entity. If this is possible, how should I use the IDE sockets to best effect? If it isn't possible, what's my best alternative arrangement?

I would like to have Win98, Win XP and, eventually, Linux on my PC. I have Partition Magic 8 and VMware both available. How should I go about this, please?

Many thanks.

Rayuk 18:06 16 Sep 03

Instal Win98 on 20Gb drive
Partition 2nd drive as you wish then instal WinXP.
On bootup you will then be given the option which os to start.

Not so sure on Linux instal and bootup options.

Havent come across being able to use 2 different sized hard drives as 1 single entity.

ColinPaul 18:31 16 Sep 03

Thank you very much. How should I connect the HDDs and CDROM, please? Master/slave, or how?

Rayuk 18:53 16 Sep 03

Hard drives as Master and slave on Primary socket.and cdrom as master on secondary socket.

There is another point do you know what ata your drives are ie 33/66/100 or 133,and what motherboard support does it have[or post motherboard make and model].

If you dont know model etc download Aida32 Personal System Information to get same

click here

ColinPaul 23:26 17 Sep 03

Thanks everyone. Yes, Rayuk, I do know all the details required. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…