HDD's disabled

stumpy69 21:39 06 Mar 05

Hi, I've just been installing some new software and when I restarted the computer I didn't get the normal bleep & the screen says the 2 HDD's I have installed are "capable but disabled". I can't get into Bios to enable them, I can't boot up in safe mode. It just says "auto-detecting" on all drives including both cd-roms. I have no idea how I got in this mess & I've no idea how to get out of it. I'm sure there's someone out there who can help me so please get me out of my misery.
I,ve borrowed the wife's machine to send this message.

Gongoozler 21:50 06 Mar 05

I suspect that the message is the the hard drive SMART is capable but disabled. This should have no effect on the computer detecting the drives or giving a POST beep. Try disconnecting all the drives and see if there is then a POST beep, followed by a message that there is no operating system.

the kopite 21:52 06 Mar 05

obvious one stummpy have you tried clearing the bios either by jumper or by removing the battery then see if you can access the bios kopite

stumpy69 21:54 06 Mar 05

Sorry I should have said that, it does say S.M.A.R.T disabled.Thanks, I'll give it a try.

stumpy69 22:14 06 Mar 05

Right, I've tried all suggestions so far to no avail. I'm signing off now, try again tomorroww eve. Nite all

stumpy69 07:08 07 Mar 05

Ok lads, Ive tried disconnecting all drives & removing the battery but got the same message on screen "Auto-decting" Pri-master,Pri-slave, Pri-sec master & Pri-sec slave so thats both HD's & both cd-roms. All drives are named so it recognises them but don't seem to be able to "detect" them if that makes any sense. I'm also still not getting the POST beep either. HELP!!!! Please.

the kopite 08:30 07 Mar 05

stumpy another obviouse one but when I connected a second hard drive I accidentally pulled the lead of my speaker have you checked yours ? Kopite

Megatyte 09:13 07 Mar 05

If the system is naming the drives on boot then they are not disconnected. Are you just pulling the power cables? To disconnect a drive you need to pull the data cable.

Gongoozler 09:25 07 Mar 05

I am very surprised that the system gets as far as detecting the drives without a POST beep. The beep usually occurs immediately after power is applied and before any other BIOS functions. If POST fails, the computer is unlikely to go any further.

stumpy69 18:57 07 Mar 05

It actually says "Auto-detecting" the drives. Yes I'm definately pulling the IDE cables off. It dont even go as far as searching for boot files & theres no beep whatsoever. Thats why I cant get into the bios cos its not even trying to boot. When I press F2 the screen says Go->setup as normal but once all the other stuff I mentioned earlier appears it goes no further. I'm totaly baffled. I even tried to put a windows XP disk in to see what happened but nothing.

Gongoozler 08:40 08 Mar 05

Hi stumpy69. If you're not even getting the BIOS option, then this is nothing to do with the software you were installing. Assuming that you've tried resteeting the BIOS both by the reset link and removing the battery, you could try one last thing before the desparate measures. Get a boot floppy disk such as the Windows 98 one and see if the computer will boot to that. If you don't have one then you can download from here click here. If your computer doesn't even recognise that then you will have to strip it down to the absolute minimum - motherboard with processor and heatsink, ATX power connector, power switch, case speaker and graphics card. It should now boot with a memory error. If it doesn't then remove the graphics card. If that doesn't get a POST beep then you have very few options. Check that the case speaker works by touching the wires to a 1.5V battery - you should get a definite click sound from the speaker. If that works then my guess is that the motherboard has developed a fault, but it is possible that it is the power supply. It is less likely that the processor is the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…