HDD upgrade

Sparky3327 10:33 05 May 03

I want to upgrade my Maxtor 20Gb HDD to at least a 40Gb one.
How easy is that and what will I need to put my saved stuff onto the new drive?
I could burn the stuff I want to keep onto CD, but I'm sure there's an easier way to do it.
Cheers,
Grezza

Eagie 10:36 05 May 03

Installing a new hard drive is relatively straight forward.

Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to use both hard drives at the same time meaning that you could copy the files from the old hard drive directly to the new (and probably faster) drive?

rickf 10:36 05 May 03

Keep your 20g as master which it is probably now and install the 40g as slave by changing the jumpers on the h/d. Make sure that the 20g is set as master. I am assuming that it is as you only have one h/d at the mo.

Sparky3327 10:40 05 May 03

I think I'd want to keep my existing HDD, but it's the physical fitting of the new one and cables etc I'd need to use that I'm not too sure about.
I think I'll be OK with the mobo and jumpers.
What new software would I need?

Eagie 11:36 05 May 03

You probably won't need any new cables etc. Hopefully you should have a spare power connector available. Check that the cable that connects the hard drive to the mobo has a spare connector on it - they usually do for a slave device (which is what you want).

All you'll need to do is plug it in to these sockets and then format the drive.

To make life a little easier you may want to download the Maxblast 3 software. It's Maxtor's own software for formatting/installing their drives. It's not essential but you may find it useful. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…