HDD tester needed

Digital 13:57 22 Dec 09

Can anyone recommend a free-standing HDD test package, ie one that doesn't need an OS, please?

dandew 14:30 22 Dec 09

Get make and go to Makers website.
There you will find tester.

eg Seagate uses DiskWizard

dandew 14:33 22 Dec 09

Sorry should have added.

Most of these tools can be used off CD BOOT.
You must make BOOTCD first and boot off it.

OS question does not arrise for test,
may arrise if you want to use other functions, may depent on what OS you plan to use or are using.

Digital 15:12 22 Dec 09

Thanks dandew. I was hoping for a non-make specific tester as the drive's in a laptop which I don't really fancy dismantling to find the drive make but it looks like I'll have to do just that!

woodchip 15:36 22 Dec 09

Seagate uses Seatools to check discs

woodchip 15:41 22 Dec 09

You do not to Dismantle the Drive if XP go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System information. Or go to Device Manager|drives Double Click drive to open so you can see the make min is a WDC Western Digital Caviar in a HP 510 Laptop

Digital 16:31 22 Dec 09

Thanks woodchip but the problem is XP only gets a little way before I get a BSOD with a "System has halted. There is a hardware failure" message. I just thought it might be worth checking the HDD.

Pamy 16:36 22 Dec 09

sounds like a software problem, run CHKDIK /P

Pamy 16:36 22 Dec 09

CHKDSK /P

Pamy 16:39 22 Dec 09

If it is a hardware problem then it is best to run the hardware diagnostic software

woodchip 09:58 23 Dec 09

Pamy I think it only works when you get to Windows, I have it on my HP laptop but never had the need for it. I also create Acronis TI Images as soon as I buy a PC just made one on a Samsung NC10 Netbook

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac