HDD Slave jumper?

lonemascot 23:34 07 Jul 08

I have a Hitachi HDD SATA2.
P/N 0A36497
250 GB

There is no diagram and I need to make the drive a slave.

There is the connection for power, connection to the motherboard and a hole with 2 single pins coming out. Are these the two that need bridging?

Please help.

DieSse 23:50 07 Jul 08

SATA drives do not have master/slave jumpers.

As there is only one drive per data cable, they are not necessary.

lonemascot 23:53 07 Jul 08

I have one HDD with XP (one I want to recover data from) and one with Vista (my new HDD).

How does the PC know which is the right HDD to boot from?

DieSse 00:10 08 Jul 08

You connect one to SATA channel 0 and one to SATA channel 1. Check in the BIOS that the system is set to boot from SATA 0.

Some motherboards are more than a touch confusing on which drive to booy from - a good read of the motherboard manual may be called for if the BIOS does not have explicit settings.

DieSse 00:11 08 Jul 08

Or experiment !!

DieSse 00:14 08 Jul 08

I just saw your other thread - unfortunately you were not given the right answer - but it raises a question.

Do you have two SATA drives, or one SATA and one IDE?

lonemascot 21:43 08 Jul 08

just plugged it in made sure the bios saw the correct capacity and hey presto.

had issues with Vista giving me permission to access the only file i wanted to keep though. its too secure for its own good!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…