Hdd settings IDE not Sata

iqs 18:06 PM 20 Jan 13

Hi, Before I installed w8 I rest my bios to defaults ,due to some tweaking .i forgot to change the hdd settings to Sata / ahci ,according to device manager the hdd,s are in IDE mode . I did a registry hack with w7 ,but had a few problems with the os hdd booting ,finally did . Can I do the same for w8. I have read that changing the bios settings would make the hdd unreadable ,s this also correct. Hope to hear from you soon ,thanks

rdave13 18:25 PM 20 Jan 13
  iqs 18:58 PM 20 Jan 13

Many thanks ,seems its more difficult then when I changed the settings in w7 . I would of assumed it would be a simple registry change .im concerned i could make things worse ,am I wrong ?, Thanks

rdave13 19:22 PM 20 Jan 13

This is an alternative method with the registry change already created and you need to extract it and merge I would think. Then reboot to bios and change to AHCI. http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-8-after-installation/

Both carry risks and I haven't tried either method.

In the first link, as you're already in ata mode you only need to start at 5 in the list.

Whichever method you choose make backups first. Good luck.

iqs 19:56 PM 20 Jan 13

Thanks rdave13 ,will have a go tomorrow ,fingers crossed ,thanks for always helping

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay