hdd serge

Hucky 22:05 16 May 05

hi chaps....my has started havind what i can only describe as `surges` ....i try to open a programma and it takes ages to load as well as making a serge type noise all the time....i have run ad aware and spybot and done a virus check but to no avail....hhelpp.!!!!!!!!!!!

AndySD 22:12 16 May 05

How much free space is on the Hard Drive?

Try Going My Computer then Right Click on the Drive and choose Properties then Toold and Check the Cisk for Errors (restart required)

After this Defragment the Drive.

Jak_1 22:13 16 May 05

Firstly backup anything you need to keep and then run scandisk. When a HDD starts making odd noises and behaving like you describe it is usually a precursor to a HDD failure (not always though).

How old is the pc? What os and do you have a system cd in order to put the os back on to a HDD.

It may well be worth investing in a new drive if yours is out of waranty, If it is still under waranty then get in touch with them.

Jak_1 22:15 16 May 05

Good points AndySD, I was thinking a little ahead and forgot about that.

DieSse 22:31 16 May 05

Strange noises are more often from dodgy fans than hard drives.

Also - are you sure it's not from a CD left in a Cd-Drive - if it keeps starting up, this can make a noise like you describe.

DieSse 22:33 16 May 05

You can also run a test program on your drive - theses can be downloaded free from the hard drive manufacturers site. If the drive is faulty, these programs will normally find out very quickly.

For Seagate get Seatools

For Maxtor, get PowerMax

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…