HDD replacement and clean install of WinXP Pro

caradoc 16:20 04 Mar 04

Need some advice on replacing my present HDD with one of greater capacity and doing a complete re-install of Win XP Pro. I've been told that Win XP has its own HDD partitionoing and formatting system and that Fdisk will not work.
My present Win XP system was installed over Win98 after I partitioned and formatted the original HDD. I do not want to go the way of using Fdisk, installing Win98 and then installing Win XP over that.
Would appreciate help,advice,etc., in basic language please, from you knowledgeable folks out there.

Diodorus Siculus 16:23 04 Mar 04

Install the new disk as master.

Boot with XP CD in the drive.

It will ask if you want to install, and ask you to format / partition the disk.

Along the way it will ask for proff of your eligibility to upgrade, ie put in a relevant CD (Win98 in yur case).

Diodorus Siculus 16:49 04 Mar 04

click here

microsoft guide.

keith-236785 16:52 04 Mar 04

if you wish, you can use fdisk to set up your partitions then when installing windows xp, just format drive c: and install to that.

thats what i did and it works.

AndySD 17:08 04 Mar 04
  caradoc 18:58 04 Mar 04

Many thanks to you all. I have, once again, being past my "sell buy date", learned a little more today.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple