HDD Removal

elliottelliotts 11:55 16 Dec 06

I have added a new faster HDD suitable for video work and set it up as the main HDD. The old HDD is set up as a backup drive. I want to remove the old drive and insert it into an external enclosure. I removed old HDD driver and all references to it in Windows - I removed all references to it in BIOS - I then physically removed the disc from base unit. Then re-start only reached the line 'Verifying DMI Data Pool' and stopped. When I put the drive back into the base unit and did nothing else, startup is normal, reaching the normal desktop screen - but drive not shown in Explorer. HOW DO I GET PASSED THE VERIFYING LOCKUP POINT AND GET THE OLD DRIVE REMOVED?

TOPCAT® 13:49 16 Dec 06

These answers may fix the problem. TC.

click here

elliottelliotts 16:42 16 Dec 06

Thank you TopCat - I have spent hours searching the web for an answer and found your site - unfortunately, there was nothing there to help. For example, your action 1 says 'undo' what I did that caused the problem - that is, put the disc back. While that clears the fault in that normal BIOS now works, it does not get the disc removed from the machine, which is what I want. I have re-set this and re-set that, but to no avail, but I still come up against the 'Verifying etc etc' when I remove the disc.

LimestoneRock 17:00 16 Dec 06

When you installed the new hard drive in your system, did you set it as slave and leave your old hard drive as master? On removing the old drive, the new one could be left as slave and this needs to be changed to master. Only a thought and my comments will not apply, of course, if you had them set up as cable select.

elliottelliotts 16:56 17 May 07

I have given up trying to resolve this puzzle and resorted to the ultimate solution. I have removed the old HDD and done a complete reload of the original operating system using the new HDD. Every thing now works with the new HDD - I have installed the old HDD in an external enclosure and find I can access the info stored on it. I was still rather unhappy with the situation so I have given the PC to my grandson and bought a new PC with Vista installed - lifes never easy is it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…