HDD recognition problem

the3wsuk 13:25 09 Apr 03

I have P4 2.4 processor, ABIT BE 7 board and Maxtor 40 gig HDD. Last night I installed a modem but there was a problem with the driver installation. I rebooted but now there's a problem with the HDD - the cmos and bios are not picking up the HDD. Oh, there's a constant clicking noise also. I can't fdisk or format. Any ideas?

thanks for your help

Holographic_man 15:06 09 Apr 03

Have you tried unestalling you modem and drivers

Diemmess 16:02 09 Apr 03

Have a look at the primary IDE socket on the mobo.
Since you have presumably been poking around inside, you may have partly dislodged the data cable to your HDD.

It only takes a whisker off being fully home, to cause you a "heart attack" I know, because I fitted a burner for G/sons last week and on first boot attempt it signalled Hard Disk error and had even lost it in the BIOS which owned up to absolutely nothing fitted!

the3wsuk 11:05 11 Apr 03

It still won't boot up. I've replaced IDE cables and still nothing. I have just installed an old hdd which is working fine leading me to think that the problem is with hdd.

silverpants 12:51 11 Apr 03

Perhaps the problem lies within the jumpers set up for the HDD or, indeed, the wrong part of the IDE cable has been connected - in a slave, master kind of way.

and by the way, I think the Forum Editor has achieved something truly magical, utilising extreme diplomacy in controlling and actually creating this forum, a sanctuary from the drivvel that seems to pervade every niche in the internet.

Yours

An anonymous city broker.

Forum Editor 23:47 11 Apr 03

I'm blushing.

DieSse 01:08 12 Apr 03

Just a thought - did you install the modem without unplugging or switching off the mains supply??

Simply switching off via shutting down is not enough - there is still power on the motherboard unless you disconnect or switch off the mains input to the system.

the3wsuk 12:25 14 Apr 03

Thanks for your help. I still haven't resolved the problem but I think it will be easier to buy an new hdd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…