HDD and R-RW Drive using a 40-pin IDE cable

EMM61 19:25 30 Apr 05

Hello friends, I have just connected an MSI RW drive and my system wont regognize the HDD nor the RW drive, what I did I connected the 40 pin cable to the Primery IDE, Master to HDD and Slave to RW drive I also moved the jumper to the centre pins.
I could not use the secondary IDE at the moment because I only have 1 IDE cable at the moment. Can you help me ? I had to disconnect the RW drive to open my system.
Thanks. Regards...

daxian 20:29 30 Apr 05

hi EMM61...
you may have to go into the bios and check that the drive is being recognised by the bios .
some older bios have to be told what it is you are instaling ,if all the settings are set to auto detect ,try scrolling through the options till you find one for cd rom ,set it as that and save the settings ....Daxian

daxian 20:33 30 Apr 05

hi again ...
an after thought...if your hard drive is using cable select then you will need to use cable select on the cd rw ...so check that as well

woodchip 20:43 30 Apr 05

Is this what you have done? connected a CDRW drive to the same cable as Hard Drive??? if so all you need to do is set the CDRW jumper to Slave, then go into BIOS when starting Computer You may have to press Del key or one of the others it will tell you on screen what to press to enter Setup. then use Arrow key's and enter key etc, Instructions bottom right corner of screen in BIOS Detect the new Drives then Save and exit windows

DieSse 00:08 01 May 05

40 wire cables do not support Cable Select. All cables are 40pin - some are 40wire - some 80wire (you can count them).

Otherwise, as woodchip says - you must set the jumpers for Master on the HDD and Slave on the CD-Writer.

Some CD-writers will not function well as Slave devices, so get another cable ASAP.

DieSse 00:10 01 May 05

PS - and as daxian said you will definately need to check the jumper on the hard drive too.

EMM61 17:52 02 May 05

Your advices were all useful thanks from the heart,but I preferred to take your advise DieSse
and got another cable....It is working perfect
thanks again.

ade.h 19:03 02 May 05

Please mark as resolved to help future forum users who may find your thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…