HDD Problem

Coaster3 15:22 29 Aug 03

Just recently my computer has been slowing down. Then a couple of mornings ago, I got a message 'Disk Boot Failure'.

I though that the problem was with the C Drive so I decided to re-install windows (XP Pro). I found that, no matter what I did, I could not boot from the CD.

I noticed that, on start up, the machine was not finding my D Drive (I have two 40 gig disks). I disconnected the D Drive and the machine started normally with no problem. I was also able to start from CD Rom in order to format the replacement D drive.

The actual problem is solved but I am at a loss to know why, if the fault was with the D Drive, I couldn't boot from the C Drive or from CD.

The faulty drive was a 40 gig Seagate U Series 5 with a date code of 0140. I would be pleased to hear from anyone who might have an idea of the problem.

Incidentally, I put the faulty drive into another machine and found that it would not boot either.

woodchip 15:34 29 Aug 03

Try getting a win98se boot disc from click here start with the disc and at A:\>type FDISK/MBR as it looks like the master boot record on the drive as got corrupted or there may be a virus in the boot sector. This is for Fat32

Coaster3 15:44 29 Aug 03

Thanks, but both disks were formatted to NTFS standard. With the faulty drive set up as Drive D I cannot boot from anything including A.

Regards

woodchip 15:50 29 Aug 03

Can you get to safe mode

Coaster3 15:51 29 Aug 03

No, can't get past the opening screen.

woodchip 15:53 29 Aug 03

PS if you had a faulty D:\ drive it could stop it running as will look to make sure that both drives are as they should be. Is it working OK now with the new D:\ drive

Rayuk 15:55 29 Aug 03

You mean it wont boot with the A: drive even when you have boot order Floppy Hard drive cdrom etc??

Coaster3 15:56 29 Aug 03

Yes, with the new D Drive in place there's no problem at all. I would like to recover some data from the old drive as I had some of my old vinyls saved on there but it's not critical.

Coaster3 15:57 29 Aug 03

I'd be a bit miffed if it was a virus as I have just paid Norton for a further year of AV.

woodchip 16:00 29 Aug 03

Download Seatools from hear click here put on floppy disc and start to see what it comes up with. have you tried with just the drive set as master and booted the comp with WinXP disc in to see if it would format. but obviously you will not want to do that only as a last resort

NICK ADSL UK 16:02 29 Aug 03

HI all this tool will monitor all aspects of your hard drive
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…