HDD - PATA in caddie

Ancient Learner 14:50 23 Jun 06

I bought a new 300GB Maxtor HDD. Fitted it in a new Integral (akasa) caddie.

First problem was that the instructions to screw the HDD into the base of the caddie failed, as, if I followed them, the multistrand lead wouldn't reach the plug on the HDD, so instead of 4 screws it is secured with one. A minor problem, but annoying.

The main problem is that when I connect, I get the message that new hardware has been found, and a moment later, another message that A problem has occurred during Hardware installation, and this might cause it not to work. Needless to say, the drive shows up nowhere on the PC, neither in My Computer or in Manage.

I have an old caddy which gives the same results, and trying the whole lot in a Laptop also gives the same results. I don't think that it is the PC at fault as it has no problem recognising and working with Flash drives using the same USB socket. But then it could still be Windows being silly and confused for some reason, but hardly on 2 computers.

Any ideas please?

Ancient Learner 15:00 23 Jun 06

That when I first got the HDD I used the old caddie, formatted and put some back up files on it.

The old caddie was v. noisy hence the new one.

Ancient Learner 15:44 23 Jun 06

My being too gentle. If all else fails, shove it it in, as the - - no - - perhaps not here. I was not putting the multi connector in far enough. Now it seems OK, except that the fixing screws still do not fit where the instructions say they should.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…