HDD paasword on laptop

iqs 21:12 01 Nov 08

Hi,
Just be asked about resetting a HDD password on a laptop.I think they are referring to a BIOS/CMOS password.It is preventing the OS from booting.

What is the best way to reset the password on a laptop please.

Cheers

Technotiger 21:16 01 Nov 08
  iqs 21:18 01 Nov 08

Thanks Technotiger,I have told them about removing the CMOS battery or using the jumper,but how easy is it to do on a laptop.Cheers

iqs 21:19 01 Nov 08

they are not that technically minded to use software.

Technotiger 21:20 01 Nov 08

The most common way that most of us know on how to reset or clear the BIOS password is to physically remove the power from the computer by disconnecting the power plug and then removing a battery for 30 minutes from the motherboard. Another way is to reset the clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard itself. Both of the 2 methods mentioned works because most motherboards use a battery to sustain the BIOS/CMOS settings for the motherboards PROM chip. So by cutting off the battery power, the BIOS/CMOS settings will be erased.

Technotiger 21:23 01 Nov 08

Read through this, from another forum ...

click here

iqs 21:29 01 Nov 08

thanks for the help,will pass on the info,cheers

Technotiger 21:41 01 Nov 08

If Dell or Toshiba ... click here

Technotiger 22:10 01 Nov 08

Maybe not, but a negative attitude does not help someone trying to be helpful.

Technotiger 22:16 01 Nov 08

I was not referring to myself, but to iqs who is trying to pass on info to another, less computer literate friend.

iqs 17:21 02 Nov 08

Thanks Beta and Technotiger,I passed on the advice,but still waiting for a reply.Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…