HDD not found

Billy911 20:59 27 Oct 04

When I first startup the PC nothing happens for a minute then the words 'Primary Drive 1 Not Found' appear. If I press F12 I get a list of boot devices. I choose Primary Hard Drive which then goes on to load the OS (Win XP Home) normally. I have checked the BIOS which is in order, Device Manager which shows everything as being fine and I have also opened up the PC to check that all the cables are secure. No new software or hardware has been added since this problem started. I don't why the PC doesn't just startup as normal.

woodchip 21:02 27 Oct 04

May be a dicky Ribbon cable try another one

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:07 27 Oct 04

In Bios is your HDD set to auto?

If so detct the drive and set it to User save and exit it should the not try and autodetect every time.

woodchip 21:07 27 Oct 04

A corrupt boot sector could also do this i.e. The MBR may need replacing from the back of the drive. When you create a Partition it Creates two MBR's one it boot's from and one at the end of the drive in case the first get's corrupt

Billy911 23:21 27 Oct 04

Thanks for the info. Fruit Bat /\0/\, the only options I get are 'Auto' & 'Off' - no 'User' setting I'm afraid. Woodchip, how do I replace the MBR?

woodchip 10:53 28 Oct 04

Not shure but I think you need to start with a full XP cd in comp Vog is the best to help on this. Why not E-Mail him and quote me

JonnyTub 11:04 28 Oct 04
  sean-278262 11:42 28 Oct 04

have you checked for bent pins on the back of the hard drive.

Billy911 17:39 28 Oct 04

Thanks again for all the info. I'm having second thoughts about replacing the MBR because on the Microsoft webpage that JonnyTub recommended it states "You must repair the MBR if it becomes corrupted and you can no longer access any volumes on that disk." The thing is I CAN access the disk (eventually).
Creature of the nite, the data cable is secure so the pins must in line.

Billy911 21:29 30 Oct 04

Anymore ideas? This is a bit of a toughy.

Billy911 12:34 04 Nov 04

Should I format the Hard drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…