HDD is not designated C: after install

Analyst02 17:22 11 May 08

Hi Folks,

I have just fitted a new 160gb HDD running WinXp.

Installation went through fine and carried out all windows updates etc. installed msn and other programs. All ok.

It wasnt until i came to something that needed unzipping that i came across the fact that my Local Drive has been designated as Drive I(i).
The unzipping wont work because it's saying C: is not a valid drive (obviously)

C: has been designated to my card reader for some strange reason.

Is there a way of rectifying this problem without having to rebuild the OS ...Agaaaain! :)

Thanks in advance.

jack 17:28 11 May 08

My primary is called local drive H[C]
And as with you my multi Card Reader has one slot as 'C' and the rest as E F with DVD drive as 'D' and a partition as 'P'

So dont get to trying to change stuff around- so long as the computer knows where to look and you know where to look on the computer leave well alone.

jack 17:29 11 May 08

The drive/folder where you ant it to go

rawprawn 17:31 11 May 08

Control Panel> Admin tools> Computer management> Disk Management> Right click on the drive and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths

Analyst02 17:35 11 May 08

rawpawn, It doesnt allow you to change the active drive.

Jack - with the windows xp unzip untility and file im trying to unzip, you dont get the option to alter the drive destination. it is preset to unzip to a destination on the C: drive. If I could do this then as you say - I would leave well alone!

Thanks

crosstrainer 17:40 11 May 08

Go to system > device manager.

Scroll down until you find your card reader.

Choose "Uninstall" from the properties tab.

Go to add remove Programmes

Look for any software related to the card reader and remove it.

Re-boot and check that your C drive is now the HDD

Windows will ask to install the card reader, do so only after you have made sure your c drive is rthe HDD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:35 11 May 08

Change system Drive Letter click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…