HDD not accessing...

Infidellic 03:11 21 Sep 06

Dear All,

I have had a Maxtor Diamond Max 10 (200GB ATA133) running happily in a Dabs Value external USB enclosure for about a year now. I have had no problems with it whatsoever, it partitioned fine into 3 partitions when I got it and up until a few days ago it was working fine.

The problem goes that I copied my entire laptop contents onto the first partition using the Maxtor utility provided on their website. I can view the files on the partition fine and can see all their attributes. However, I cannot view or copy any of the files contained on the partition. The problem is restricted to this partition only, the other two are perfectly fine. I have run ScanDisk multiple times to check for errors, there are none according to it.

I cannot place the disk into another system to see if it is the IDE -> USB interface as I do not have another system and unsurprisingly when I purchased it I didn't think about this so I purchased a 3.5" drive despite having a laptop that is obviously 2.5".

Any ideas from you ppl?

Many thanks for any time given,

Richard Jarvis

Infidellic 04:56 21 Sep 06

In addition I have just found out that I can copy to the partition and access the newly copied file absolutely fine but none of the old stuff.

Doubt it does but I take it having a direct copy of my HDD (inc. windir) shouldn't cause any problems? It hasn't in the past

Infidellic 13:57 21 Sep 06

Bump

terryf 14:10 21 Sep 06

Try doing it in Safe mode

UncleP 15:11 21 Sep 06

"I can view the files on the partition fine and can see all their attributes. However, I cannot view or copy any of the files contained on the partition."

I assume that you mean that you can see the sub-directory tree, but cannot open any of the files listed therein. Sounds to me like something the Maxtor utility has done, either for security or as the result of a fault. As a first step, can you check to see whether the file contents have actually been copied to that partition (by looking at the memory usage)? I assume that you don't get any indications of an error in the FAT.

Nosmas 15:23 21 Sep 06

Having copied 'the entire laptop contents' to your external HDD, that presumably means that with the external drive connected, the system now has two identical OS's. This sounds very similar to a problem I am having. I used Acronis True Image to make an image of my OS and saved it on an external HDD. Now I can't 'see' the external in Windows Explorer, and Partition Magic shows the drive as 'hidden'. Using PM I 'unhid' the disk but PM then insisted on a reboot, after which the disk was still hidden.

Is it possible that the Maxtor software used to make the copy is 'hiding' the partition because it contains an OS?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 21 Sep 06

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.

Infidellic 00:19 22 Sep 06

Ok sorry, to clarify some things and add a few more points just discovered!

In response to the first things asking if the drive is hidden or if the utility is protecting it:
1. The utility never did this in the past.
2. Not hidden according to Partition Manager included on this month's cover DVD.
3. Unlikely to be any of these due to it most likely being due to the stuff below and the fact that I can browse it as normal quite happily.

Right onto the MAJOR revalations (why did I not get this earlier #8^p )
I do indeed get "Access Denied". What I did not previously realise is that this only applies to files under my username in the usual Docs and Settings folder. Obviously this is because I had a password and probably put on stuff like deny access to files to users that aren't me etc.

The thing is that was under XP Pro (came with laptop [2nd hand]) and when I reformatted I installed XP Home. As such I do not have the Advanced Settings button under Folder Options or other features of Pro.

I have the same password and user account under XP Home but obsiouly this makes no difference whatsoever.

Thanks for all suggestions so far though! Please keep them coming

Infidellic 12:30 22 Sep 06

Bump, sorry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…