HDD -Master/slave

ribo 09:31 20 Nov 03

Hello again, This is not a problem I have, but my nephew ,mistakenly thinks I know something about computers.

My question is:- Can the hard drive be set to slave and the CD rom to master,on the same IDE cable? If so how will the drive letters be assigned. In other words ,will the HDD which is the slave still be "C" drive. Thanks J

Gongoozler 09:46 20 Nov 03

Hi ribo. I think it depends on the BIOS. The ASUS A7V8X-X, for example, gives a choice of first boot device that includes selecting which hard drive is the bootable one. Other motherboards only give a choice of hard drive, floppy drive, cd-rom etc. personally, I only ever put the bootable hard drive as primary master, so I don't know how the BIOS handles the drive letter allocation.

rickf 09:54 20 Nov 03

The bios should handled it ok, I think(?). BUT why not set the h/d as master and the cd rom as slave. In which case you are bound to get the h/d as C. If he is concerned about speed of the bootable drive with two devices on the saame ide cable he'll not notice any difference setting it as slave. I am curios as to why he wouild want to do it this way. Making the h/d master, which normally contains much more data would allow him to access the data quicker.

temp003 10:00 20 Nov 03

The hard disk (presumably with an OS installed) would be the first primary partition marked as active, and will always be C.

ribo 10:03 20 Nov 03

Well, as I said this is my nephews computer,apparantly he built it, ot rtied to, ended up with a problem and took it to a computer store. He got it back last night and they told him that they had put the HDD as slave and the CD Rom(he only has 1) as the master. They said "because with his set up it worked better"!!!

ribo 10:06 20 Nov 03

I again predded the button, before I was finished. to continue...Last night he installed XP Home (New install) and he says he now has the drive letters assigned as A floppy D CD Rom and E his hard drive!!. He cannot change the drive letter of the hdd , I presume because he is using it when trying to do so. Has this clarified anything? J

DieSse 10:24 20 Nov 03

He really shouldn't have the hard drive and CD on the same IDE cable even.

Does he have any other IDE devices in the system?

ribo 10:34 20 Nov 03

Not that I know of. J

DieSse 13:27 20 Nov 03

Then I suggest you (he) get a second cable - put the hard drive as the Master on the primary cable - and the Cd as the Master or Slave on the secondary cable. This is the preferred route - there shouldn't be any problems in any system with this setup.

ribo 14:00 20 Nov 03

Thank you all for your help. I shall pass on all your comments to my nephew. I do not really know all the details. Thanks again. J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…