HDD Help,just bought a Maxtor 80gb hard drive

joeysmad123 19:53 10 Jun 05

I have just bought a new Maxtor HDD 80gb and i have attatched it to my computer,now when i start up and go to bios it is recognised,but when computer boots up,it is not in My Computer directory at all,i have been told to format it but i didnt receive any software with it,what can i do,Please help me.

Thank You

the kopite 19:56 10 Jun 05

Hi download max blaster 4 from maxtor web site and follow the intructions to configure your drive kopite

CLONNEN 19:57 10 Jun 05

I think you need to go to the maxtor.com website and download their MaxBlast software. The DOS version usually works better than the Windows version. You create a startup floppy disk which contains the MaxBlast DOS version and it will let you select your Maxtor drive and format it for you. It is very easy to use and there is a tutorial on the website as well.

joeysmad123 19:59 10 Jun 05

one problem,my floppy isnt working neither,basically i just put a computer together and its only got a cd rom drive working at the mo,i am really desperate to get some free space with the new hdd,is there another way i can do it??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:08 10 Jun 05

start. settings. control panel. amin tools. computer management. disk management.

Select your drive format and partion from there.

SEASHANTY 20:16 10 Jun 05

Download Maxblast 4 For Windows from here
click here which will allow you to install your new drive, partition and format, and to set it up as either a replacement Boot drive or as an extra storage drive. You can do all this without shutting down windows. Just shut down antivirus, firewall and disconnect your internet connection when you install. When it tells you to remove the floppy disk just click on OK as you are not using a floppy. Save this utility in your program files after use. It will come in handy should you wish to resize partitions, change from Fat32 to NTFS or reformat.

bremner 20:25 10 Jun 05

To start with forget Maxblast and do as Fruit Bat says.

If for some strange reason that does not work then consider the other options.

DieSse 22:50 10 Jun 05

" To start with forget Maxblast and do as Fruit Bat says"

Exactly!

dan11 22:56 10 Jun 05

" To start with forget Maxblast and do as Fruit Bat says"

"Exactly!"

concur.

SEASHANTY 13:27 11 Jun 05

You didn't state your OS but people here seem to have assumed its Windows XP. Had you purchased a retail box version of your MAXTOR drive then you would have received the kit which also includes the Maxblast software. As Fruit Bat says, if it is XP then try the disc management first because its probably quicker. If it's Windows 98 then you will not find disc management in that. It appears that some people on this forum believe that Maxtor software is not suitable for installing and setting up Maxtor drives. I wonder why they bother making this software then? My guess is that they have probably never used it.

dan11 14:29 11 Jun 05

Yes the assumption is, that it's XP. The statement of "and go to bios it is recognized,but when computer boots up,it is not in My Computer directory at all". Is classic of windows XP.

If it IS xp then, the windows software is far easier to use.

" It appears that some people on this forum believe that Maxtor software is not suitable for installing and setting up Maxtor drives. "

I think, if you are using XP, then there is no need to use the maxblast software. Partition magic is built into XP.

" My guess is that they have probably never used it. "

Yes I have used it many times. I have two maxblast C\D's that came with retailed boxed hard drives. I have used it many times on 98 and ME. But since acquiring acronis and the explosion of people using XP, I have not needed to use the software for a long time. I just keep it in case it is needed to fool a bios to accept a larger drive. Any new drives I need formatting, I just whip them in as slave and let XP do the work. Format in NTFS or fat32, split the drive to as many partitions as you want. The process is easy and painless.

Anyway, that's why I use XP.:-)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…