HDD help Please

drums 17:47 28 Jul 04

Hi,

just built myself a PC with new HDD and running XP, My question is, how do I add in my old HDD to my new system, it's running Windows 98SE, I want it complete with it's O/S and files. I know how to put it into the system but what do I have to do to be able to use it?

drum

flyingpeterpan 17:58 28 Jul 04

More info.of spec. on your new system please?

Dorsai 18:30 28 Jul 04

You will need to set it up to 'duel boot'

I E. when you turn it on it will in effect ask 'xp?' or '98?'. But i have no idea how to go about doing this.

goonerbill © ® 18:56 28 Jul 04

i believe there is a program called " boot manager" or something like that but its not free i think. have a look in the downloads section on this site and you may find a free utility that will be just as good.

roy 19:57 28 Jul 04

Go to your Start/ Help and Support on your Win XP machine. Search for 'Dual boot' and then 'Installing more than one operating system on your computer'

It looks as if you would have to put your old hd into your pc first on its own. (just disconnect your new one) and that you would have to instal XP in Fat32 not NTFS.

Hope this helps. If not, this subject has been covered extensively before in the forum so you might find something by searching past threads.

woodchip 20:22 28 Jul 04

Remove th New Drive and fit the Win98 drive as Master, fit the New drive as slave and install XP to the new drive. After it see's win98

flyingpeterpan 20:58 28 Jul 04

Correct me if I am wrong, this way it won't give you the dual boot system,you will always boot into WIN 98,otherwise you have to manually set the jumpers again in order to boot to XP.

To achieve dual boot system,you have to make 2 partitions on the same drive, install the eralier Windows first on C drive i.e.Window 98 then XP,therefore you will have a choice of OS
i.e.Win98 or XP to choose from during boot up.

There are more alternatives,that's why I asked Drums for his PC's spec.

Nosmas 20:58 28 Jul 04

Don't want to hijack your thread drums but.....

Woodchip, if the new machine has a different motherboard to the old machine, will this cause any problems when trying to boot from the old drive? I was hoping to do such as you suggest but was told that the O/S on the old drive would not be usable because of problems with motherboard drivers.

flyingpeterpan 03:06 29 Jul 04

Next time, don't send e-mail, post your messages here by clicking the "Post response" box in the bottom righthand corner.

Is this your new system: you have XP running on the 60gb, Win 98 on 20 gb and the 20 gb was originally on the system, the 60 gb was an upgrade with the new OS, am I right?

Probably, you might have got your answer from the posts, suppose the 2 HDD are IDE ATA, the 20 gb will be fitted as the slave, I think the only choice will be a software called "Boot Magic" but it can be quite costly, or you can have a look in this site and download a similar utility,but this utility will slow down your PC'S overall performance, the choice is yours.:o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now