HDD Help!!

Slithe 16:56 09 Jun 05

A puzzling one for you...

Since installing my new Western Digital 120GB HDD as a slave on my PC, Windows has taken a long time to boot up - both during the black screen and in the welcome screen. The problem has only occured with the presence of any anit-virus software i.e. Avast or Norton.

The original is a 60GB drive with jumpers untouched, the new drive is set as slave jumper setting. Followed instructions in the book. The IDE Cable is 40 Pin, 80 Conductor - as supplied with the drive and is in securely along with power to both drives.

I have no viruses - and have run software such as bootvis to clarify the startup issue. Still occurs.

Have looked in the BIOS, Phoenix Award - the drive is recognised, but no info is given when you explore it further.

The PC boots fine without anti-virus software - so what is going on with it and the drive?

Diemmess 17:18 09 Jun 05

Have you formatted the new drive?

Diemmess 17:22 09 Jun 05

You will help avoid confusion if you close this earlier thread. click here

Slithe 17:25 09 Jun 05

Yep - it's online too as well - checked using Disk Management

Formatted using supplied software - drive is acessible in XP and can be seen in My Computer.

Have tried partitioning it into two smaller drives - stll no joy. Now reformatted as one drive...

Slithe 17:28 09 Jun 05

As Diemmess has pointed out - this thread has now been closed.

De Marcus 17:31 09 Jun 05

Try disabling the drive in the control panel via it's ide channel, if it's on the same ide channel as the boot hard drive then obviously you can't do this, in this instance just disable the actual hard drive, reboot and see if the problem persists, post back with the results.

Diemmess 17:41 09 Jun 05

Can you read from, and write to the new HD?

If you can,......... it seems to me that the configuration of your AV program may be slightly adrift.

If you can't......... then the limp suggestion I can make is to set the jumper on the new drive to CSL and in the BIOS to Auto. In other words you allow XP(?)and your computer to sort it out!

Slithe 17:42 09 Jun 05

Tried your trick - no I disabled the drive using Device Manager, and still the system was sluggish. Right clicked the drive and opted for disable

I have auto-detected the drive via the BIOS - still sluggish.

Therefore, it must be something running in the background. According to Norton, 49% of my memory is in use - I'm not actually running any programmes? But have 45 running in the background.

However, re: my initial posting - its only when I have an anti-virus programme installed that the system runs slowly.

Slithe 17:48 09 Jun 05

Yes - I can read and write to the new drive.

I tried it when I initially installed the drive. I experimented with a Word Document - I wrote the word 'Hi' and saved it. I then closed Word and opened the file from the drive - opened fine no problems.

As your idea of anti-virus; I installed a fresh copy of Norton yesterday evening. I had a virus problem that Avast couldn't cope with. Norton found three trojans and destroyed them - I thought that this may have been the problem. However, that is not the case. Norton Anti-virus and Norton Firewall are set to the defaults as provided by the install - I have not modified these.

De Marcus 17:50 09 Jun 05

Wasn't a trick, just trying to distinguish between what could have been a corrupt ide driver or software, from your last posting I'll bet it's down to your AV.

De Marcus 17:51 09 Jun 05

Is the machine fine without AV? Or has this not ben tried yet?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…