HDD Gone !!!

CutNpaste 17:10 26 Nov 04

Hi,

just recently my Western Digital 80GB 7200rpm 8mb
stopped working. Later on i found out that it had a mechanical fault and the guys in pc world say it cannot be fixed. So i turned to OnData and asked them how much it would cost to get the data recovered ,THEY SAY BETWEEN £400-£800. I was baffeled, as my HDD was in its warranty and the manufacturers say that they will destroy all the data on arrival.

Thinking that i had no hope i thought of a solution. I thought why not buy an exact model again and open it up and replace the platter. So i did and unfortunately i get the same mechanical problem (which is the arm in the HDD runs back and forth). Now i realised how sensitive the interals are.

My Big Big request is to you guys, is there any other solution to recover my HDD or fix it.

Thanks

Technotiger 19:48 26 Nov 04

Hi.....big oops!! Have you not seen pics of guys in white coats building these things in air-tight
extreme sanitary conditions - once opened BANG.
Sorry mate I think a new drive is only solution - btw, believe or not the price quoted is about correct!! Best of luck anyway.

mattyc_92 19:57 26 Nov 04

Try BadCopy Pro. I haven't rtied this software for a hard-disk only for DVDs, CDs and Floppies click here

Diemmess 20:01 26 Nov 04

Fascinating..........Wise after the event I thought everyone knew about the incredibly fine limits in the engineering of even the most humble of HDDs. The clearance between the heads and the revolving surfaces is absolutely minute.

You have my sympathy, but data recovery will cost.

If it is worth it, then cast around for the best price you can get, some will charge only for the data recovered........you pays yer money and takes yer choice!

CutNpaste 23:58 27 Nov 04

I guess i'll learn from my mistakes. My mistake wasn't done when i opened the HDD but it was done when the HDD showed symtoms of poor performance. I guess my mistake was not backing up my data.
Heres what i've lost:
-- 20GB of music
-- 20GB of sofwares
-- 10GB of games
and most importantly :-( my work and my electronic portfolio. And even worse i lost half my dessetation.

I know what i'm buying this christmas!!

The Spires 00:55 28 Nov 04

I think the ones on here who push regular backups are the ones who have lost valuable data at some point, myself included.

THE TERMINATOR 01:15 28 Nov 04

I am sorry you have found yourself in this position. My advice is to get two hard drives then you can back up important data. Try click here and see if these people can help you....TT

smudge101 01:50 28 Nov 04

CutNpaste, sorry to hear about your woes, it always hurts to lose data. Since a mishap a few years ago I always use two hard drives, the second containing an OS (pared to the minimum) and all my backed up data. This way even if the first drive goes down I can reboot, sort the problem or just carry on working from the OS on the second drive. Oh yes, I also keep a ghost of the first drive as well. We all strive for a 'Bulletproof' system, perhaps other have ideas for better set ups!??

TTP 02:03 28 Nov 04

Did you sort your copyright problem out ?

CutNpaste 00:31 29 Nov 04

Hi guyz,
Thnx for comments. I'm not sure but a freind told me that a motherboard which has a serial interface with raid 0-5 or somthing, has got the ability to to wire up two identical harddrive one that will run the system and and documents and the other one will mirror the active one constantly (in other words backup constantly). So if one HDD fails then the backup one comes to life.

Although it may sound quite rational, i am not sure whether its true or not. Maybe you guyz know better. Let me know if there is such thing, if there is then give me some advice on how to go about with it.

Thanks

Diemmess 17:05 29 Nov 04

Aren't you flogging a dead gee gee? The old HD will never run again in its present form and may already have severe damage to its surfaces.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a way to avoid this situation again then it seems an overkill......... An extra HD, whether internal or for luxury external, is conventional and much cheaper. Also with an external HD you have the ability to take it anywhere with you at any time.

If you are uncertain of remembering to do the backups you want, there is plenty of software out there that will manage it for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…