HDD full, system crashing.

Joey D 10:45 21 Apr 04

Help please. My HDD is full (only 2GB) & when I attempt to save data the lot crashes. I,ve tried deleting files to make space but am afraid to delete old programs in case they share files with other programs I need. (Running Win95 with Office98 200mhzprocessor,CDROM only) I know system is old but its ok for what I currently need. Any suggestions please ? Thanks.

Xevious 10:49 21 Apr 04

instead of deleting progs, try uninstalling them from "add/remove programs" in the control panel

Joey D 11:02 21 Apr 04

Xevious, Have tried that, but I get warnings regarding shared files so I don,t complete uninstall.

Sethhaniel 11:04 21 Apr 04

and cleaned temporary files TEMP folder in windows
and Temporary Internet files
They can take a lot of memory

Joey D 11:12 21 Apr 04

Sethhaniel, Recycle bin empty. Not tried Temp. folder in Windows or Temp. internet files. Where will they be located?

Sethhaniel 11:24 21 Apr 04

anything in there with a date older than todays can be deleted
also any files with extension *.gid *.bak

put in search for these
temp in c\windows\temporary Internet files select
all and delete

also when you use uninstall -windows is clever enough not to delete the wrong shared items - often the shared file is put in a certain folder but you may not have any other program that shares that file - its there just in case

Giggle n' Bits 11:32 21 Apr 04

when asked about shared files say NO.
Be carefull what progs you delete especially if they are progs for things like Audio, VGA, Modem

deadneat 11:43 21 Apr 04

time to get a new hard drive m8. Better still a new puter!

Xevious 11:52 21 Apr 04

as deadneat states, get a new HDD.
it's simple enough, get a new one, set it to slave, plug it in and start using it to store things on. no configuring needed...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…