HDD failure imminent? How do I prepare?

badgery 20:37 20 Dec 05

I have noticed my HDD has started making a little more noise than usual in the last couple of days, and I begin to worry about a 'collapse'. The computer is about 3 yrs old, so I expect the worst.
Last year I installed another hard drive (Maxtor 120Gb) partitioned into F (20Gb) and G (100GB), my original C drive being 20Gb. When I installed it the F partition was used only for a 'copy' of my C drive ( I used the Maxtor copying facility, but forget the actual details!! But all the files I can see on C drive appear on F drive also.). I have been using the 'backup' facility in XP Home to create backups of 'My documents etc' from C into F drive at intervals. In the event that my C drive does 'collapse', will the backups etc in F be enough to allow me to install a new HDD for the C drive and get back to where I am now?
If C does fail, how would I actually set about the changeover? I am confident about physically putting a new drive in, but getting it then to 'run' is where I would be lost! If any explanations could be as simple as possible I would be most grateful. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:48 20 Dec 05

First check can boot to other drive

change BIOS to boot from your other drive,
may show now ass HDD0 change to HDD1 by paging through the options.

Save and exit It should now boot to the copy of XP (hard to tell)

If this goes ok then fit new drive and us e maxblast to copy the operating system back to new drive.

change BIOS back to new drive and check it reboots ok

This worked for me on my old machine.

badgery 22:06 20 Dec 05

Thanks for that, will try what you suggest and see what happens.
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…