HDD failing on dual boot system HELP.

lixdexik 10:05 06 Mar 03

Hi. my Hdd is failing as it will not allow me to write to it to save anything.

I have two HDDs C & D win 98 was loaded to the c drive then winxp pro loaded as a clean install onto the d drive. winxp pro set up the dual boot and winxp is the default system. after getting the system working well I used partition magic to carve the drives up a bit. In win XP the C drive is split into two 20gig partitions ( C & J )and the D drive is split into four ( F, G, H &I). In xp, after carving the drive up the D drive is now shown as F. F being the winxp fnts drive, and all other partitions are FAT32. when I choose to boot into win98 I get error mesages can't find HIMEM.sys..If I start with xp then all is well but I am unable to write anything to the C or J drive....

The question is..as the c drive is now dead, if I just remove it and replace it with a new drive, will I still be able to boot to xp and then format the new drive from there, re create the partitions with partition magic and re load win 98. with drive image or is the boot information on the c drive?

I used drive image 2002 to make a drive image of the c drive onto the G partition as soon as I got the system up and running and would hope to just restore the c drive from that..it would be easy if xp would load then I could restore it from there..

any thoughts or advice please.

Cheers Lixdexik.

Got to go to work now so will read your responses this evening. cheers.

lixdexik 15:02 06 Mar 03

refresh

lixdexik 19:30 06 Mar 03

refresh

zanwalk 21:16 06 Mar 03

Well I think you should be able to restore your C partition to the new HD and all will be well if it has copied the MBR over as well, you can certainly try it with the Drive Image floppies, as you won't be able to boot any OS until you have your MBR back. It is the first sector of the first HD. Try it and see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…