HDD fail... Sound track included!

Gaz 25 19:27 19 Feb 04

Is this HDD clapperd...

click here

I think so, but more opinions are better.

Its a Maxtor 80Gb 8Mb Cache HDD.

Regards,
Gaz

spikeychris 19:33 19 Feb 04

"Its a Maxtor 80Gb 8Mb Cache HDD."....no its not, its a doorstop. Sounds a bit rough Gaz..

Tony 19:35 19 Feb 04

Sounds like either one of the heads has dropped off or maybe the pin that the arm moves on has gone.
Any way one dead hdd.
I have hear worse one it fact sounded like someone banging a hammer on the inside of the hdd, took it appart and found that a screw that holds the platters to the motor had the head broken off and the scratch markes on the platters had to be seen to be belived.

Gaz 25 19:41 19 Feb 04

Yep, note the clicking before. Then the loud click.

Well the place I bought the drive from said that the clicking is normal. Ummm... I dont think so.

Thanks for your backup!!!

Gaz.

PS. Anymore views are welcome.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:43 19 Feb 04

Knackered...bin...buy new.

G

Gaz 25 19:50 19 Feb 04

Its in its 12 months warranty. Infact I only had it a month after my IBM failed.

:-0(((

Gaz 25 19:51 19 Feb 04

You get straight to the point dont you Gandalf?

more like take back if still under warranty , and change or get money back if they wont , launch it shop windowards

Gaz 25 19:54 19 Feb 04

lol..

This is what I am up against, I taken it back yesterday and they wanted to hear it make that click, but it is intermittent and it behaves for them. Ghrrrr.

What can I do?

Gongoozler 19:56 19 Feb 04

I hav found Maxtor very good on warranty replacements. They send you a new one, and you return the faulty unit in the same box. The only down side is that you pay the postage for the returned unit.

Gaz 25 20:00 19 Feb 04

Ummm, its an OEM drive so no box only antistatic bag. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…