//some 3rd party need geo

HDD controllers - how can I detect the true ATA mo

Christopher Lewis 12:08 11 Feb 04

I have a normal IDE set up with HDDs on one channel, and CD/Zip on the other.

I also have a second controller PCI card running more drives on two channels

I am (still) using Windows 98SE

Is there a way of detecting which ATA modes are actually being used? I'd like to be reassured that what the boxes say is true, no more then that.

Christopher

Jester2K 12:09 11 Feb 04

Usually flashes up during the POST screesn on boot up. I think there is a way to pause the boot up....

Jester2K 12:12 11 Feb 04

You can pause the boot-up display by hitting the Pause (usually top right somewhere) key on the keyboard.

Booting will continue when you hit the Space bar. You can stop and start as often as you like.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:12 11 Feb 04

I think if you have the ide drivers for your mobo installed this should tell you all the settings,i have the SiS pci ide drivers for my mobo and they tell you what mode is running and what is supported if dma is on and the like.

Regards.

DieSse 12:24 11 Feb 04

The intel software does the same.

Christopher Lewis 12:58 11 Feb 04

Thanks JESTER2K

I can pause the POST to see the main (motherboard) channels which are OK.

The controller card doesn't display this info, only the size and type of drives it has detected. It's made by SIIG, but this question is not one on their FAQ page.

Is there a utility that would do the job?

siouxah1 19:41 11 Feb 04

Try AIDA32 V3.5

Under storage/ ATA it will give you the max and actual UDMA or ATA that each disc is running at.

If you can believe it. It does gives me the correct known results.

Regards Brian j

Christopher Lewis 09:00 12 Feb 04

Thanks siouxah1
AIDA32 seems to do the job!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…