HDD Compatibility & Windows XP Installation

Mykeaitch 13:13 16 Aug 06

I have a DELL 2.8GHz Dimension 3000 PC with a MAXTOR 6Y160P0 HDD installed.
I want to upgrade for 2 reasons:
Firstly I need more space and secondly the existing HDD is now very slow so I am planning to install WindowsXP on the new one and start with a clean slate. I have been searching for a replacement HDD and keep coming across SATA II or 300. Now mine is an ATA/133 and not having had to fiddle with HDD's before I need to know if a SATA HDD will be ok on my system. Maybe theres something in the BIOS that needs changing.
The next issue is (I know these queries may be very basic)that when I have installed my registered copy of XP on the new HDD and I connect to Microsoft to update will they reject it as an unlicensed copy as it has already been registered with them or will that not be an issue? I'm only asking this as I've read a few posts here about Microsoft tightening this up.
I have never installed XP either so am not sure about partitions etc.
Any advice or guidance at all will be very welcome.
Thankyou.

~#@@#~ 13:47 16 Aug 06

Your present hard drive is a 160GB ATA drive. It would be very unlikely that your motherboard has SATA connectors on it.

You could open the case and look for them or you could try and identify the make and model of the motherboard. Even if the motherboard does not have the SATA connectors, you can buy cards to run SATA drives. Though it is far better to have them on the board.

Why not buy an external hard drive and transfer a lot of your data from the internal drive to the external one. This will free up space and if you defrag the drive, it should make it quicker. 250GB for £72 click here

This would also get you over the microsoft problem.

Mykeaitch 14:09 16 Aug 06

Ok I can certainly open her up and have a look......are SATA connections separate to Data and Power cables and are they obvious?
If my Motherboard does not have this facility then I guess I can get another bigger ATA drive which presumably would be like for like and no problem to install?
So are you saying that I may have an issue with XP on Microsoft when I try to update again?
Thanks for your help.

~#@@#~ 18:17 16 Aug 06

The first set of pictures from click here show the different motherboard connectors. IDE V SATA. If you were to have a SATA connector, it would most probably be marked on the board.

" If my Motherboard does not have this facility then I guess I can get another bigger ATA drive which presumably would be like for like and no problem to install? "

better to use extra storge as a slave. either internally or an external hard drive. That should give you no problem with your windows installation.

" So are you saying that I may have an issue with XP on Microsoft when I try to update again?"

If you were fortunate to have a SATA connector and used a SATA hard drive to load your operating system and programmes. Then it is likely that you would have to reregester your copy of windows.

Mykeaitch 09:15 17 Aug 06

Thanks very much for the link to that article.
It explains everything very well.
Are the SATA to PATA conversion kits reliable to your knowledge? If I don't have SATA connections on my Motherboard then it seems I can use the kit to convert my PATA connections to SATA for the new HDD.
I'm not concerned that I may have to re-register XP, only that when I do so MS may reject it as it has already been registered.
I will have a look in the box tonight if I can to see what connections I have.
Thanks.

~#@@#~ 10:03 17 Aug 06

" Are the SATA to PATA conversion kits reliable to your knowledge? "

That is what they are SATA convert to PATA.click here click here

You would need the other way around. PATA to SATA. The best way is by a pci SATA interupt card. click here. If you have a spare white PCI slot then you could run a SATA hard drive from it.

Mykeaitch 11:30 17 Aug 06

OK so the PCI Controller card which plugs into a PCI slot(which I know for a fact I have free) will be the best option to connect a new SATA HDD to?
Then presumably it will free up my PATA connector to my existing HDD?
Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions but I want to be sure I know what I'm doing before I start!

~#@@#~ 21:28 17 Aug 06

" OK so the PCI Controller card which plugs into a PCI slot(which I know for a fact I have free) will be the best option to connect a new SATA HDD to? "

That is if you wish to use a SATA drive. Overall an external hard drive would be better, but if you want to use SATA. Yes.

" Then presumably it will free up my PATA connector to my existing HDD? "

yes.

" Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions but I want to be sure I know what I'm doing before I start! "

thats OK ;-)

You do have another option, one you may not have thought of. That would be to change the motherboard!!!

Zeppelyn 22:25 17 Aug 06

I would just buy an additional PATA IDE Drive, install as a slave and bingo you have extra storage space you want without the hassle of reinstalling Windows etc. Just jumper the new as slave, usually diagram on disk or if not on makers website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…