HDD Compatibility

Running Bear 12:51 27 Aug 09

Hi,

Hoping someone can advise me. I'm NOT an IT man, but HDD in home PC has crashed terminally and I reckon I can fix it. Therefore, appreciate it if you could respond "in layman's terms". I've done my homework and my question is simply this: can I replace my existing HDD which is Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160 Gb SATA/150 with click here

I'm assuming that link will work in posting, but we'll see. Just in case, it's Maxtor 250GB hard disk drive DiamondMax Plus 21 SATA II 300 8MB Cache 7200rpm.

The only bit I don't really understand is the difference between 9 and 21 on the DiamondMax Plus term. I RECKON it's probably only the later model? All comments appreciated, thanks.

GaT7 13:37 27 Aug 09

Yes, that will work fine. And yes, the '21' in the model number is the later model.

For only £5-6 more you could get double the capacity though click here. G

sonyboy 13:42 27 Aug 09

SATA compatibility between SATA I and SATA II can be troublefree in some cases and can be looked upon as "backward compatible" ..but it can also involve issues such as changing jumper settings at the rear of your Hard Drive in some cases....
This is depending on your Motherboard type and also which Operating System you are using!
If you can post your Motherboard type and which O/S you are running ..
It will be a great help to anyone on the Forum to give you better advice as to how to go ahead with things and keep it in "layman's terms" as you have requested.....

GaT7 14:02 27 Aug 09

From my experience, any SATA2 drive works just fine even if the motherboard supports SATA1 only. No jumpers or any other adjustments need to be made.

However, in the rare instance that there is a problem, the drive can be jumpered accordingly as sonyboy suggests. I was trying to keep things as simple as possible without wanting to alarm Running Bear :-). G

Running Bear 17:11 27 Aug 09

Crossbow7, Sonyboy,

Thanks for advice so far - much appreciated. Reckon I'm best off to go for the 500 Gb version for the small extra dosh, then.

Is there likely to be any reason why the rest of my PC would not support the extra capacity?

'Course, you've raised my curiousity about difference between SATA I and II now, but really all I'm concerned about is whether it will work! Common sense would seem to suggest that it SHOULD be backward compatible?

What is HDD "jumpering" anyway?

I do realise that I'm asking alot of questions here and have no RIGHT to free IT support, but I'll take it if it's available, thanks :-) (& if there's a little bit of mutual learning to be had, so much the better).

My apologies - I realise now that I should have posted more of the detail up front. The OS is Windows XP Home and the motherboard is (er, um) Asus K8V SE Deluxe(from "splash screen"). Is that enough to go on?

Thanks,
Running Bear

GaT7 18:44 27 Aug 09

Yes, the 500Gb one will do nicely for the little extra.

As you're running XP & a fairly modern motherboard there's no reason why a large capacity drive won't be supported.

Well, going by your S754 motherboard (detailed specs at click here), I'd say it only supports SATA1 natively, so you may need to change the jumper - but only if it doesn't work at first. The drive's manufacturer will have info about this, e.g. WD's info is at click here.

Also best to download & save your latest motherboard drivers to flash drive if you have one. Download link at click here. If your WinXP install disk is SP1 or older, you may need to load SATA drivers via floppy at the start of the installation process - these can be found under the 'IDE' subsection in the above link, e.g. 'Promise SATA378 Driver V1.00.0.26 (ATA Mode)'. More on this closer the time, & again only if required.

Once you have WinXP installed & everything updated on your new drive, you can connect the old drive & attempt to backup data if possible & required.

No need to apologise :-), as this is a free forum offering free help. We'd like to give you the best possible help, so ask as many questions you need to. I guess it's better to ask than to experiment on your own & possibly mess things up! One day you may be helping others the same way, & yes, there's 'mutual learning' going on all the time. G

sonyboy 19:59 27 Aug 09

Crossbow has covered all the bases for you Running Bear...and as he rightly says...No apologies needed:)
The guy who "knows it all " in this PC game hasn't been born yet! ....and we can all learn from each other.....I can't add anything to Crossbow's good advice and I hope it goes O/K...Good luck!!

Running Bear 21:18 30 Aug 09

Crossbow7, Sonyboy,

Thanks for all that. I'm going to go ahead and order the 500 Gb drive now, so I'll mark this thread as "resolved" (in as much as I'm confident about ordering the drive) and will post again with either problems (hopefully not) or positive feedback (hopefully so) once I've received and installed it.

Running Bear 15:46 05 Sep 09

All (particularly Sonyboy and Crossbow7),

Having now received the new HDD I've hit a problem straightaway (surprise, surprise). I can't even connect the thing!! Actually, I can connect data, but not power.

I am a bit of a numpty with this sort of stuff (see previous posting) but I am learning fast and I am happy to persevere, so your forbearance is much appreciated.

The power connector on the old one (at least I THINK it's power - red, yellow and black leads would seem to suggest as much) is 4 big male pins. The power connector on the new one seems to be (according to the label on the device) a male 15 pin "flat" connector. What puzzles me is that there is an identical 15 pin flat connector (unused) on the old one.

I suspect that this is just a "connector format" issue and that I could procure a short adaptor cable to go from one to the other. Is that likely? Or, worst case, could it be that the new one has a completely different power supply requirement from the old one and is thus incompatible?

I can, of course, post more details but initial guidance would be much appreciated for the moment.

Thanks,
Running Bear.

Quiet Life 16:32 05 Sep 09

Yes you need an adapter from the present molex connector.

Eargasm 16:45 05 Sep 09

If your old hard drive is as you say SATA then you must already have a suitable power connector from your Power Supply?
The 4 big pins are a Molex connector, and a adaptor to convert that to suit a SATA drive are only around £1.50p
Have a look here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017