HDD backup programms

EJ1947 14:02 03 Feb 07

Just bought an external usb hard drive and was looking at programms for backing up my complete HDD, OS and all.
I have on previous occasions used XXclone for this sort of thing but have downloaded two (free) programms . Paragon Drive Copy 8.0 and Acronis 7.0.638 which I see is an old version hence free.
I would welcome anyones experience with any of these versions of the programms.
Thanks

SB23 14:12 03 Feb 07

I'm using the free version of Acronis. In my case, it doesn't let you adjust the compression, and only a full backup will work (for some reason an incremental doesn't want to know), for a freebie, I'm happy.
I've used the stored backup I made, and I had my pc up and running again in a matter of minutes.
Like I've said before, its free, it works for me, so I would recommend Acronis.

Steve

rawprawn 14:43 03 Feb 07

I used to use Acronis 7, and found it very good with no problems. (I now use Acronis TI 9)

johndrew 14:45 03 Feb 07

I use Acronis TI v9.0 (build 3677), which is very good indeed, with my external HDD . It is up to v10 now and IMHO is worth buying. Many places - like Amazon - often do discounted `older` versions when the new ones are released, so if you`re not terribly bothered about cutting edge you can save a bit of cash as well.

Technotiger 14:49 03 Feb 07

I use Acronis 10. I think it may still be possible to get a huge 40% discount when upgrading to 10 from Acronis 7, as I did.

Cheers

Technotiger 14:50 03 Feb 07

PS - that includes updating from the Free version.

EJ1947 14:54 03 Feb 07

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Acronis seems popular but has no one tried Paragon?

Probabilitydrive 15:05 03 Feb 07

I just restored my Comp back (my first attempt) with Norton Ghost.

After some initial hickups -well, having been flashed by the blue screen of death - I chose another recovery point and it worked like a treat.

Make no mistake-I cant stress enough the imortance if you have a programme such as Acronis or Norton Ghost installed.

I tried for weeks to find a solution for a CREATIVE soundcard installation problem and there came a time I just had to admit defeat..! Thats where Ghost/Acronis (in fact any other recovery programme) takes over.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…