HDD advise wanted

tonyt1151 19:21 27 Oct 08

Thinking of getting one of theseclick here orone of these click here Before I do I have a couple of questions.
1. Which would be best - ease of use, relyability etc.
2. I have seen on several reviews of hard drives it is best to format to NTFS before use - is this a sensible course to take ?
3. I want to use it to fully back up 2 pc's 1 desktop and 1 laptop. Is this possible on one HDD and how do I set up HDD to do it?

Technotiger 19:55 27 Oct 08

Hi, for what you intend to use the drive for, I would go for the Western Digital 500Gb.

Yes you could use it to back up two computers using Acronis True Image. Each backup will be easily identifiable via the Back-up icons.

When making your back-ups, I would advise you to make an initial Full Back-up and then thereafter make Differential back-ups on say, a weekly basis - you can schedule the automatic differential back-ups. This is how I make my back-ups, I then delete earlier Differentials, just keeping the Main Initial back-up and one Differential - this saves space on the HDD.

I would advise against making Incremental back-ups, because in the event of actually needing to use your back-ups you will need to have your Main Back-up and ALL your Incremental back-ups (like a daisy-chain), any single Incremental getting corrupted would render the whole lot useless.

You do not need to set-up the HDD in any particular way, just format it NTFS. Each backup will create its' own icon on the drive.

tonyt1151 20:10 27 Oct 08

TT
Fromm one TT to another thank you for your info. as usuall it is most helpful. I already have Acronis so just need HDD

Technotiger 20:13 27 Oct 08

You are welcome .... Cheers.

Technotiger 20:21 27 Oct 08

Just an added thought - You will need to remember to move the drive from the Desktop to the Laptop in time for any scheduled Differentials!! So keep your two schedules well separated in time/day!

Technotiger 20:23 27 Oct 08

PS - while I am at it - it would be a good idea also to make separate Folders on the drive for each PC, that way there should be no mix-ups!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced