HDD 20GB only showing 10GB

varney 08:30 25 Oct 07

Hi, the HDD on my laptop is 20GB but in properties on the C drive it only shows as 10GB, how do I get to the rest?

Visu 09:11 25 Oct 07

Please check the jumper settings of your harddisk. This will solve your problem.

xania 09:50 25 Oct 07

You could have a second virtual drive using up the 2nd 10GB.

exodus 09:58 25 Oct 07

Hi, you may have a hidden partition for recovery purposes of the operating system if you have no XP install disc.

exo

varney 10:16 25 Oct 07

in the disc properties its shows that the HDD is 20Gb , but the C volume is 11GB

The jumper settings are OK

Varney

hiwatt 13:34 25 Oct 07

It could be that windows it's self or other programs you have installed are using the other 9GB.

exodus 20:10 25 Oct 07

Hi, what is shown under Disc Management for this drive(s).
Start/Run/type in
diskmgmt.msc
click OK.

exo

varney 13:45 26 Oct 07

Hi, it shows Disk 0 18.63GB then an unallaocated disk of 7.84GB and then the C at 10.79gb, os have created an e drive. not great having two parttions but better than not being able to use the space.

Thanks for your help.

xania 15:26 26 Oct 07

Actually its better having more partitions. For example, place all your data on a second partition and its easier to back up. Also a smaller c:\ drive tends to work better.

exodus 19:47 26 Oct 07

Hi, not sure I have understood what you stated.
The C drive will normally be the first and active partition of Disc 0, whilst the unallocated space will be the second partition.

Just format the unallocated space via Disc Management so that it becomes useable. I would not be overly concerned about the unexpected partition. As mentioned above, the space may be used, and as it keeps the C drive quite small, defragging will be quicker.

If you wish to get back to one partitioned drive, you will need to reinstall XP and set the partition size during the install. Altewrnatively, use a partitioning program such as PartitionMagic which will keep all your data. Some partitioning programs are available free via a download. Always backup important data first.

exo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…