Hd upgrade

ben122 14:39 01 May 06

I am upgrading my pcs hardrive soon and i have seen a few programs that can let you copy everything from one hd to another, can this be used to copy the operating system so i dont have to bother reinstalling windows xp on my new hd.
thanks guys for any help

Frosty120 15:03 01 May 06

Usually that doesn't work as far as I know. But you shouldn't really need to get rid of your old disk anyway, usually there are enough IDE channels on the motherboard to add a new disk without removing the old one, so you can boot from the old one and save new files to the new one. Thats what I do. It save the hassel of transferring all your files and also gives you even more space.

pj123 16:52 01 May 06

One of the programs you may have seen is xxcopy from: click here which will make a clone of your original hard drive to your new hard drive.

Obviously, your new hard drive would need to be partitioned and formatted first.

Alternatively, xxclone from: click here would do the same job as well.

citadel 19:30 01 May 06

if you get a retail boxed hard drive it will come with software that copies all onto the new disc. I recently got a seagate hard drive and the disc wizard copied all onto to new disc and everything copied ok.

terryf 19:37 01 May 06

keep your old drive as C, instal new hd as D, then keep all docs, pics, tunes, downloads etc on the D drive, dont transfer My Docs to D drive, create new similar folders on D. Use Acronis to make image of cleaned up C drive on the D drive. Consider using prog called EA8 to backup emails, etc to D drive. Acronis will make a bootable CD that allows you to effectively re-install Win and all your progs in about 15 mins

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:16 01 May 06

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here
Maxblast4 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…